styrian hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
lee1
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

styrian hops

Post by lee1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:23 pm

hi all when a recipie asks for styrian does it mean bobek ? celia ? i usualy use bobek or am i missing something cheers :?
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

legion
Hollow Legs

Re: styrian hops

Post by legion » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:16 pm

Malt miller sell the proper ones
Savinjski Goldings (Styrian Goldings)
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:56 pm

lee1 wrote:hi all when a recipe asks for styrian does it mean bobek ? celia ? i usualy use bobek or am i missing something cheers :?
I've tended to use Bobek in the past.

My understanding is that until a few years ago they were sold collectively so a UK buyer could have received any one (or a mix) of the current named varieties from that region. Luckily we now have the option to buy the individually.

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:11 pm

jmc wrote:
lee1 wrote:hi all when a recipe asks for styrian does it mean bobek ? celia ? i usualy use bobek or am i missing something cheers :?
I've tended to use Bobek in the past.

My understanding is that until a few years ago they were sold collectively so a UK buyer could have received any one (or a mix) of the current named varieties from that region. Luckily we now have the option to buy the individually.
I have also heard that said - however I do not find Bobek delivers the zingy, lemony freshness I used to associate with "styrians"

In fact I would go so far as to say I don't like Bobek very much.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:00 am

I would put my neck out and say that Styrian's were like EKG in the naming sense. What I mean is that they are made up of several variations of essentially the same hop, which is probably why you can't get Styrian goldings anymore. I would disagree about the Bobek though, I think they are the most like the original SG's. Failing that use a Fuggle!
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:09 am

i've only used bobek once or twice but they were right on the money with that styrian taste. of which i actually really like. not sure why i haven't used them more..
dazzled, doused in gin..

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:40 pm

scuppeteer wrote:I would put my neck out and say that Styrian's were like EKG in the naming sense. What I mean is that they are made up of several variations of essentially the same hop, which is probably why you can't get Styrian goldings anymore. I would disagree about the Bobek though, I think they are the most like the original SG's. Failing that use a Fuggle!
Dave I must have been unlucky with the ones I got - "styrian goldings" as I remember them used to be laden with lovely yellow pollen with a zesty citrussy zip to them.
All the packs of Bobek I've had lately have not had any of the yellow pollen, and were distinctly ordinary with none of that lovely citrussy character.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:56 pm

To be honest the crop hasn't been as good for the past couple of years anyway, this seasons (2013) crop have also had the lowest Alpha I've ever seen 2.75% :shock:
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:44 am

There are a number of hops described as Styrian. Bobek and Aurora were developed by crossing Northern Brewer hops with local hops, so differ from Savinja Goldings and Celiea, which have the Styrian Fuggle origins. Savinja is the original hop, a fuggle taken from England to Slovenia a hundred years or so ago after disease wiped out the local hops. Celiea is actually Savinja crossed with a local hop.

They used to sell several hops under the name Styrian Golding but the EU made them sell each hop under a unique name. Bobek is also known as Styrian Golding B, even though it has different heritage. There is also Styrian Atlas, a cross between Brewers Gold and a wild local hop. And Styrian Dana, which was bred from Magnum.

Maltmiller says...

About Celiea: "This hop is part of the group including Bobek and Savinjski that made up Styrian Goldings. Before Slovenia joined the E.U. any of these or a mixture of these three hops would be supplied under the name Styrian Goldings. It is now only possible to buy them individually. Celeia is derived from Fuggle"

"Savinjski Golding, Styrian Golding is an ecotype of Fuggle grown in Slovenia as old traditional favorite aroma variety widespread used in both ale and lager breewing. It has delicate, classical nobel, slightly spicy aroma."

Bobek: "Distinctive perfume pine/lemon/citrus hoppy character. This distinguished variety is well known throughout the world and although identical to Fuggle in many ways it does have its own distinctive characteristics. The perfume-like hoppy character that was again used mainly in European lagers works very well in the less malty flavoured golden coloured beers." (Personally I don't think bobek is like fuggles at all, and it isn't derived from fuggles). Bobek first appeared in 1975.

So which to use? If a recipe asks for Styrian Goldings, the cultivar known as Savinja/Savinski/Styrian Goldings is the original. But some say Bobek is nearer the taste many English ale drinkers fell for, and some say Celiea is the closest. I reckon you just have to try them and find out what works for you! And maybe mix them...

Not much help, sorry!

Sunter0100
Steady Drinker

Post by Sunter0100 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:17 am

So if you were making a TT landlord or a Deuchars IPA, which variety would anyone recommend?

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:16 am

This was a reply from Deuchars head brewer à few years ago.

We use Styrian Golding as the main hop, these days blended with Willamette, which we find compliments the aroma and also acts as a buffer against the variable quality of Styrian Golding . If you can’t get Styrian Golding, replace with Willamette initially

The usage rates in g per litre are as below for all hops

Copper Late

Styrian Golding 0.25 1.75

Willamette 0 0.4

Super Styrian 0.2 0

Fuggle 0.2 0

If you can't get any Super Styrian simply add more fuggle (around 0.3 g per litre) or some other variety of your choice such as Challenger or perhaps US varieties like Liberty or Mount Hood.

To get more late hop character why not try "hop tea". This is simply made by bringing hops to the boil in Water for around 5-10 min ( too long and you will add too much bitterness), straining and cooling and adding the resultant "tea" at the end of fermentation. Remember to allow for dilution effect on the original brew! I suggest you start in the range 1-2 g per litre

Simply add any variety ( in this case Styrian Golding /Willamette) but you try other varieties to give different characters.

lee1
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lee1 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:51 pm

cheers for the replys some good hop knowledge out there cheers lee =D>
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

critch

Post by critch » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:16 pm

scuppeteer wrote:To be honest the crop hasn't been as good for the past couple of years anyway, this seasons (2013) crop have also had the lowest Alpha I've ever seen 2.75% :shock:
ive got some celeia thats 1.1! #-o