Hop combinations for Pale Ales/IPA

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Clibit
Under the Table

Re: Hop combinations for Pale Ales/IPA

Post by Clibit » Fri May 30, 2014 11:55 pm

Ahtanum for sale, 2013, and cheap too...

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/aht ... p-995.html

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Clibit wrote:Found you. See the other thread...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=66253&p=697913#p697913
I also have a recipe in the line up for later this year or early next for a pale ale using bravo to bitter and amarillo for flavor and aroma.
I've never used bravo before, but from the description it sounds like it would work well with amarillo.
I'm just here for the beer.

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:45 pm

Galena is a good base bittering hop because it pairs with everything. Cluster is also an overlooked good base bittering hop (see my Anglo-American Bitter recipe). It is the oldest hop cultivar that is grown in the United States. Cluster was dismissed during the early days of the American amateur brewing revolution because of the stigma tied to its use in the production of Standard American Lager. However, a hop cultivar does not last from the colonial period until the present day without having good brewing properties. Two other hop cultivars that are overlooked are Northern Brewer and Perle. Perle is the quintessential American ale base hop that is used in the standard for the style; namely, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (SNPA). It provides the clean, minty backbone that underlies the Cascade citrus in SNPA.

CestrIan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by CestrIan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:13 am

YeastWhisperer wrote: Cluster is also an overlooked good base bittering hop
+1 Loving cluster. It's a relatively new one for me, but it's going in everything at the moment. Just made a Wit with it. Goes well with NS and Citra. Works well on late additions and it's cheap too.
Stay Home - Make Beer - Drink Beer

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:42 am

CestrIan wrote:it's cheap too.
That's the best part. It is not a hipster proprietary hop like Citra, Amarillo, or Simcoe, so demand in the craft and home brewing trades is fairly low. I have been using Cluster in my brews since the nineties (Cluster and Galena were the only hops that I used for bittering for several years in the nineties). I have also used Cluster as a late hop, but I tend to use it as a base hop because it pairs so well with most aroma hops. The other good thing about Cluster is that it stores amazingly well.