Polaris

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Bingshoe

Polaris

Post by Bingshoe » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi All

Just purchased some Polaris and intend doing a Smash with 5kg for 23litres.
No idea in hopping schedule as have run through Brew Toad and giving me crazy IBU (15g 60, 20g at 10,5 & 1)
Anyone used the hop before and any and thoughts on Hop schedule?

Cheers

B

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Polaris

Post by seymour » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:49 am

That's because it has such a high alpha acid percentage. Beware.

Formulate your recipe to provide only 20-30 IBU from the 60 min addition, then load-up the late additions to reach your desired IBU.

Polaris has pretty unique flavours and aromas, but I kinda think of it as super-Northern-Brewer, if that gives you an idea.

Please report back about your personal findings!

Bingshoe

Post by Bingshoe » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks Seymour

Will be using in conjunction with a Fruity 'Essex Yeast' obtained from Brewlab and decided to add 5% Carapils and some oats for the hell of it as 5 litres will be going in a polypin so want a bit more body for the lack of carb, the rest bottled.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Bingshoe wrote:Thanks Seymour

Will be using in conjunction with a Fruity 'Essex Yeast' obtained from Brewlab and decided to add 5% Carapils and some oats for the hell of it as 5 litres will be going in a polypin so want a bit more body for the lack of carb, the rest bottled.
Not a SMASH then :D
Best wishes

Dave

Bingshoe

Post by Bingshoe » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:00 pm

No. Fickle brewer and changed plans. Will probably all change again at brew time.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:04 pm

Bingshoe wrote:No. Fickle brewer and changed plans. Will probably all change again at brew time.
Never mind, I'm sure it will turn out a very quaffable beer.
Best wishes

Dave

GavH

Post by GavH » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:57 pm

Just asked the Head Brewer at Brewdog some questions via Twitter (#TweetTheBrewer). One question was 'what hop combinations would you avoid'. The answer that came back was 'Polaris and anything else'. They haven't yet replied as to why specifically?

Bingshoe

Post by Bingshoe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:55 pm

Doesn't bode well. I'll give some tasting feedback in a couple of weeks when bottles are finished conditioning.

AdyG
Hollow Legs

Post by AdyG » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:13 pm

GavH wrote:Just asked the Head Brewer at Brewdog some questions via Twitter (#TweetTheBrewer). One question was 'what hop combinations would you avoid'. The answer that came back was 'Polaris and anything else'. They haven't yet replied as to why specifically?
I had a Kernel single hop Polaris and it was very nice indeed, unusual flavour but very interesting.