Duvel Triple Hop 2014 with Mosaic

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
jmc
Even further under the Table

Duvel Triple Hop 2014 with Mosaic

Post by jmc » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:32 pm

Interesting that Duvel's annual Tripel Hop uses US Mosaic this year

I believe the usual 2 hops are Saaz & Styrian Goldings. This year Mosaic's been added as a dry hop
Duvel Triple Hop Mosaic 2014
Duvel is traditionally brewed with two hop varieties. Duvel Tripel Hop is brewed with three hop varieties and each year the third hop is changed to provide its own unique taste and aroma. This keeps the final flavor profile surprisingly exciting for any true beer lover. For 2014 our brewers selected the exotic hop Mosaic from the USA. Characteristics By using three instead of two hop varieties to brew, we obtain additional hop aromas and an increased bitterness. The typical Duvel palate is enriched with Mosaic hops providing fresh notes of tropical fruit and an intriguing, blueberry flavor. Mosaic hops are added again during ‘dry-hopping’, extracting additional hop aromas into the beer. The higher aromatic intensity rounds out the beer, backing the final alcohol content of 9.5%.
More info

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Duvel Triple Hop 2014 with Mosaic

Post by MTW » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:32 am

Hopefully nicer than last year's Sorachi Ace. That was the first of these offerings I have tried. While there was certainly plenty of hop there, I didn't think it worked at all as a stand alone drink. I really didn't get lemon myself, but something far less friendly and which disagreed with the existing esters and subtleties I might otherwise have got at. Bluhgh.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Befuddler

Post by Befuddler » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:36 pm

MTW wrote:Hopefully nicer than last year's Sorachi Ace. That was the first of these offerings I have tried. While there was certainly plenty of hop there, I didn't think it worked at all as a stand alone drink. I really didn't get lemon myself, but something far less friendly and which disagreed with the existing esters and subtleties I might otherwise have got at. Bluhgh.
I couldn't disagree more strongly. The Sorachi Ace was fantastic.
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Eadweard » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:55 pm

I didn't like the Sorachi Ace one, but I thought the Citra one was great.

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:31 pm

Anyone got a uk shop seller as in walk in pick up a bottle

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:14 am

sbond10 wrote:Anyone got a uk shop seller as in walk in pick up a bottle
The Trembling Madness, York, is where my 2013 came from. An amazing selection (and great bar upstairs) if you've never been.

Over your way, there's theliquorshop.co.uk, recommended by Mark at http://www.viewsfromthebar.co.uk They don't list the tripel hop on their website, but it'd be worth giving them a call.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:39 am

I have a relation that goes York often and loves ale time to go make a large hint on there Facebook

tenemus

Post by tenemus » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:56 pm

The BottleTop in Cheadle should have it. 30mins from Warrington and loads of great beers tucked away at the back at decent prices

Tend to agree that the Sorachi Ace version was quite a disappointment, something very astringent about it.