Wild hops?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
screwybrewy

Wild hops?

Post by screwybrewy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi folks. I've seen what I reckon are wild hops growing locally. Has anyone got advice on using them. I.e when to harvest, how to dry, how to guess AA content etc etc?

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Wild hops?

Post by Jim » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:41 pm

There's a section on using wild hops in Dave Line's Big Book of Brewing if you have access to that - he dries them with his wife's hair drier! :lol:

There are a few grow-your-own-hops threads kicking about on here if you do a search - I'm sure that the same advice goes for either wild or cultivated hops.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:57 pm

screwybrewy wrote:Hi folks. I've seen what I reckon are wild hops growing locally. Has anyone got advice on using them. I.e when to harvest, how to dry, how to guess AA content etc etc?
Harvesting and drying would be the same as the ones in your back yard. Guessing at the AA is all you can do, even if you were able to figure out what variety they are.
If I had some wild hops I'd brew a small batch of simple beer (one malt and a slight bittering with a nuetral hop) and dry hop with the wild hops which would, at least, give you an idea on the flavor and aroma.
I'm just here for the beer.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:13 pm

First rule is: If they smell like onions or garlic then don't bother.

I have done several wild brews and they have all been great. If you don't want to gamble on AA% then as Rookie says use a known variety for bittering and use the wild ones late. I like a gamble and so base the AA% around 5-6% they are rarely higher because the real high alpha hops are newer generation so unlikely to be found growing wild.
If they are local enough to keep an eye on in September then check every few days, but normally once they start to brown off you can tell. Rub one in your fingers and the stickier they are, the riper they are. For drying I use a large roasting tin with a cooling rack. If kept somewhere warm, like an airing cupboard or greenhouse they will dry in a few days.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

screwybrewy

Post by screwybrewy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:50 pm

That's great, thanks chaps. Roll on September then...

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:43 pm

screwybrewy wrote:That's great, thanks chaps. Roll on September then...
Sorry Screwyb,
Just Google Earthed and picked all the Mature Plants you found and took them home! :D :D
WA