Hop storage

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
barry44

Hop storage

Post by barry44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi, I am getting a hard time off shmbo regarding my ever growing hops storage currently filling the chest freezer.

I know that the hops should be stored in the freezer once opened but what about if they are still sealed?

Would I be OK to keep the sealed silver packets in a cool place rather than the freezer without detrimental effects?

I assume I must be as my lhbs keeps them in buckets on the floor.

Cheers,

Barry

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Re: Hop storage

Post by scuppeteer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:45 pm

Yep, cool and out of direct light, I would still keep opened packs in the freezer though. Remind SWMBO that its also saving you a fortune on buying beer from the shop. What you saved can be spent on nail polish and numerous other lady items! :wink:
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:49 pm

I think you need to give her a good talking to! :wink:

Seriously, even unopened, hops will keep much longer in the freezer than out. If you're just storing them in a cool place, buy little and often so you don't have to keep them too long.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

barry44

Post by barry44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:42 pm

Thanks guys. I hear what you are saying Jim but whenever I see something I buy it to make sure I don't miss it!

Next brew is a punk IPA clone so that should see me through a good few bags!!

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri May 02, 2014 1:43 am

barry44 wrote:Hi, I am getting a hard time off shmbo regarding my ever growing hops storage currently filling the chest freezer.

I know that the hops should be stored in the freezer once opened but what about if they are still sealed?

Would I be OK to keep the sealed silver packets in a cool place rather than the freezer without detrimental effects?

Cheers,

Barry
You don't have a seperate hops freezer? :(
I'm just here for the beer.

barry44

Post by barry44 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:48 am

Rookie wrote:
barry44 wrote:Hi, I am getting a hard time off shmbo regarding my ever growing hops storage currently filling the chest freezer.

Cheers,

Barry
You don't have a seperate hops freezer? :(
I've kind of claimed the chest one as my own....

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Sat May 03, 2014 10:24 am

Jeez if you can't man-up then get rid of the hops all together. You are clearly a person who would enjoy a fruit based cocktail rather than beer :=P
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

barry44

Post by barry44 » Sat May 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Ooft!!!

BarnsleyBrewer
Under the Table

Post by BarnsleyBrewer » Sat May 03, 2014 1:58 pm

I bought a JML vacuum sealer for the hops, works great.... Got some Challenger in freezer around 4 years old..

BB
"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2021......... 104
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416 - Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624 - Pints brewed in 2014.. 832