Hop Advice

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
daddies-beer-factory

Hop Advice

Post by daddies-beer-factory » Thu May 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi,
I am planning on making a strong, hoppy pale ale this weekend, It will be 50 L brew size (2x 25L Fermenters)

I have 100g of fuggles & 100g of goldings and intend on using all 200g

what is the best use of the hops - I usually do even hop additions, ie

90 mins 33g fuggles 33g goldings

45 mins 33g fuggles 33g goldings

15 mins 33g fuggles 33g goldings

but this approach is a bit amatuer & I would like to improve my hop knowledge

Thanks #-o

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Re: Hop Advice

Post by scuppeteer » Thu May 08, 2014 9:39 pm

2 of the best hops to compliment each other.

I would be inclined to use one or the other at each addition, based on which ever has the higher AA%, which I'm guessing would be the goldings.

Something around 30-40IBU on an ABV of about 5.5%?

With that schedule you'll be getting more bitterness than you may want, so I would suggest 60, 15 and 2 mins, with as much as you have left going in last and at least 100g worth for the brew length.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Fri May 09, 2014 9:43 am

I used to brew with fugues and goldings for years until I became seduced by newfangled amerikan breakfast beer hops. Not long ago there was a thread about english varieties being neglected so with the thought that tim taylor used to be a cracking pint I gave fuggles and goldings a go. The first stab at a modest IBU had 30g of goldings late hopped and I couldn't taste a thing! no aroma or anything. Next attempt I went for 90g late addition and a higher IBU - it was not nice - cats piss not nice. My taste my have changed, seduced by these brazen promiscuous new hops - when I went to Uni back when the world was still in black and white I thought 6x was a great pint, now I can't stand it, soupy brown muck, so perhaps its the same with hops - so it might be me, but I'd suggest for a first stab that you don't over do the late hops and build up later.

daddies-beer-factory

Post by daddies-beer-factory » Fri May 09, 2014 10:34 pm

Thanks for the replies,
Raiderman - I am with you, this is all grain # 14, my last brew was an american pale ale & I loved it - I just want to keep things mixed up so they dont get boring.

anyway I still have a lot to learn on the hop side, so I reverted to my old style ( but with a cheeky bit of american chinook ha ha )

here is what i did

90 mins - 33g goldings
33g fuggles
5g chinook

45 mins - 33g goldings
33g fuggles
5 g chinook

15 mins - 33g goldings
33g fuggles
5g chinook

( lets call it an english pale ale with a splash of american pussy ) :mrgreen:

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sat May 10, 2014 9:41 pm

I think that'll work. Have you tried challenger and cascade?

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sun May 11, 2014 12:07 am

Thinking about it, one of our "retro" beers has a schedule of 90, 60 and 20min additions, all East Kent Goldings mind and that is hoppy enough. I like that you have stuck to your initial schedule though, making a good pint is more often than not down to your own gut feeling. Let us know how it turns out. :)
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC