Hops at Flame Out

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Hops at Flame Out

Post by MarkA » Sun May 11, 2014 11:17 pm

If a recipe calls for hops at flame out, is it best to steep them in the hot wort for a while before cooling, or is the 20 to 30 mins cooling time enough?

NobbyIPA

Re: Hops at Flame Out

Post by NobbyIPA » Mon May 12, 2014 12:05 am

yes usually the cooling time will do

what i do is
flame out add hops, quickly cool to 80c then stop cooling hold it at that temp for 15 20 mins then chill to pitching temperature

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Mon May 12, 2014 9:05 am

NobbyIPA wrote:yes usually the cooling time will do

what i do is
flame out add hops, quickly cool to 80c then stop cooling hold it at that temp for 15 20 mins then chill to pitching temperature
Thanks NobbyIPA, I'll try that on my next brew.

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Mon May 12, 2014 9:30 am

I kinda do what NobbyIPA suggests, however, I worry about temperature differences in the BK (think its called stratification). BK Temperature reading is taken < 10cm from bottom, and as we know heat rises so top stays above 80oC for ages while recirc (the CFC pipe bore and pump does not create whirlpool effect) at bottom can be under 50oC. I have been amazed at the temp difference the times I was brave enough to take top temperature samples.

So for me 2 situations exist,

- Cone Hops float for ages on top so I guess there is a higher than theory bitterness contribution

- Pellet Hops disperse quickly and well and do not seem to get this late steep time bittering boost

Of course one could open the lid and give the kettle a stir every 5 minutes to mix the wort and even out the cooling, but at this point in my garage this is the last thing I want to do. I think the key is to make sure the BK is well mixed until the contents get cooled to under 90oC, then lid gets put on never to be lifted till after transfer out.

Beers end up fine and tasty, but nailing the intended bitterness especially using the steep and hop bursting technique is fairly tricky. Fortuneatly I like beer quite well bittered so I am happy to continuing trying to master this further !

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Mon May 12, 2014 10:42 pm

roscoe wrote:I kinda do what NobbyIPA suggests, however, I worry about temperature differences in the BK (think its called stratification). BK Temperature reading is taken < 10cm from bottom, and as we know heat rises so top stays above 80oC for ages while recirc (the CFC pipe bore and pump does not create whirlpool effect) at bottom can be under 50oC. I have been amazed at the temp difference the times I was brave enough to take top temperature samples.

So for me 2 situations exist,

- Cone Hops float for ages on top so I guess there is a higher than theory bitterness contribution

- Pellet Hops disperse quickly and well and do not seem to get this late steep time bittering boost

Of course one could open the lid and give the kettle a stir every 5 minutes to mix the wort and even out the cooling, but at this point in my garage this is the last thing I want to do. I think the key is to make sure the BK is well mixed until the contents get cooled to under 90oC, then lid gets put on never to be lifted till after transfer out.

Beers end up fine and tasty, but nailing the intended bitterness especially using the steep and hop bursting technique is fairly tricky. Fortuneatly I like beer quite well bittered so I am happy to continuing trying to master this further !
Some interesting points there, Roscoe, thanks, I would never have thought there would be such a huge temperature difference in the wort. What volume do you brew?

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Tue May 13, 2014 9:46 am

100L pot filled to brim with recirc CFC cooler

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Tue May 13, 2014 12:15 pm

:shock: That is serious brewing!