blitzing hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
dreadskin69

blitzing hops

Post by dreadskin69 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:01 pm

hi all, ive been having difs with the hop bag dryhopping (they float and i dont get the big flavour i want even at 2g per ltr) so im gonna have a go at the hop blitzing technique mentioned many times on this forum.

so, do i just wack them in the blender and give them a wee bit of a blitz, or a wee bit of previously boiled water and then blend? or is there another way to do it?

answers quick please as its being done tomorrow!

cheers

bob3000

Re: blitzing hops

Post by bob3000 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:28 am

Thats how i do it. or you could use some beer instead of boiled water. Just make sure evreything is well sanitised

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue May 13, 2014 9:48 am

dreadskin69 wrote:hi all, ive been having difs with the hop bag dryhopping (they float and i dont get the big flavour i want even at 2g per ltr) so im gonna have a go at the hop blitzing technique mentioned many times on this forum.

so, do i just wack them in the blender and give them a wee bit of a blitz, or a wee bit of previously boiled water and then blend? or is there another way to do it?

answers quick please as its being done tomorrow!

cheers
Sanitise well and use cooled, boiled water. They'll soak up quite a lot of water actually.

The other thing will be that when you come to transfer/bottle, you will need some kind of fine filter on your syphon. I use a fine mesh bag in the bottling bucket to catch anything that comes down the syphon.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Patterd Ale
Hollow Legs

Post by Patterd Ale » Fri May 16, 2014 6:54 pm

I would say 2 g/l is the absolute bare minimum for dry hopping. Try 6 g/l sunk with sanitised whotsits for a week or so. By all means blitz them too if you wish.