Which Styrian Goldings for Hobgoblin Clone?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Which Styrian Goldings for Hobgoblin Clone?

Post by MarkA » Wed May 14, 2014 10:37 am

My next brew will be a Hobgoblin clone;

•90.5% 4.8kg pale malt
•7.5% 360g crystal 75l
•2% 100g choc malt

•14g EK goldings @ 60min
•14g Fuggles @ 60min
•16g Cascade @ 15min
•64g Styrian Goldings @ 15min

wlp023 burton ale yeast

Which strain of Styrian Golding would be best to use?

banksy

Re: Which Styrian Goldings for Hobgoblin Clone?

Post by banksy » Wed May 14, 2014 11:24 am

If it helps, I have used Bobek in the three clones I have brewed so far.

Cheers!

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Wed May 14, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks Banksy, it does help!

Which recipe did you use?

banksy

Post by banksy » Wed May 14, 2014 11:57 am

MarkA wrote:Which recipe did you use?
I see you are using the BN 'can you brew it' recipe? Whereas mine is built around the comments made by the Wychwood Head Brewer on that same BN Radio show, and is basically the same but uses less Styrians as late additions, also my late additions are @10 mins, not 15. Saying that, the next time I brew this I will up the Styrian addition to the same as the BN guys suggest as a comparison. :wink:

I add the bittering hops at 80C as the wort is coming UP to boil (kind of like a FWH technique) and use 1275 Thames Valley Yeast fermented @18C

Cheers!

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Wed May 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Cheers Banksy, I'm assuming your recipe came out well and reasonably faithful to the original if you're brewing it for the 4th time?

banksy

Post by banksy » Thu May 15, 2014 3:58 pm

MarkA wrote:Cheers Banksy, I'm assuming your recipe came out well and reasonably faithful to the original if you're brewing it for the 4th time?
Yeah, its not too bad.... I like it :wink: :wink:
It does take a little time for it to settle though, I don't like it too much when it's young - the flavours are just all wrong. Hence why I am going to try upping the Styrians to see if I can get a bit of hop character to survive whilst it matures. :D

Cheers!

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Thu May 15, 2014 9:46 pm

Sounds good, let me know how it turns out :)

MattGuk

Post by MattGuk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:59 am

+1 on the bobek, i always use Bobek when making Hobgoblin.
Also IMO WLP002 or WLP005 would suit this beer better, again i always use one or the other, both with very similar results but IIRC WLP005 IS slightly more,attenuative.
If you wanted to be really pickie and u carry salt additions, then it is adding salts to give equal amounts of Chloride and Sulphate, maybe slighty more in Chloride to achieve a nice level of maltiness, as i dont think Hobgoblin is on overly hoppy beer, least not on draught anywayz.

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:51 pm

MattGuk wrote:+1 on the bobek, i always use Bobek when making Hobgoblin.
Also IMO WLP002 or WLP005 would suit this beer better, again i always use one or the other, both with very similar results but IIRC WLP005 IS slightly more,attenuative.
If you wanted to be really pickie and u carry salt additions, then it is adding salts to give equal amounts of Chloride and Sulphate, maybe slighty more in Chloride to achieve a nice level of maltiness, as i dont think Hobgoblin is on overly hoppy beer, least not on draught anywayz.
Thanks MattGuk. I've got WLP023 in at the moment so will use that for my first brew of this but will keep in mind your yeast recommendations for future brews (big fan of Hobgoblin so can't see myself just making the one :) )

I haven't started with additions and PH yet but it's something I'll be looking into.

Cheers

MattGuk

Post by MattGuk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:44 pm

If it helps i can give the number for John Tilson who is a brewer at Wychwood Brewery?
He is more than happy to answer any questions as i have spoke with him a few times.
I Literally live less than a mile away from the brewery and love all their beers, piledriver is AMAZING

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:46 pm

I haven't tried Piledriver or seen it anywhere for sale. I should maybe plan a trip down south and see if I can have a look around, do they do tours?

MattGuk

Post by MattGuk » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:06 am

Yeah they do tours, its excellent valvue for money.
I believe it £7.50 for 2 hours and usually get a few pints worth of beer to, plus they gave me one of the brewers numbers