What is your favourite American hop variety?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
beer gut

Re: What is your favourite American hop variety?

Post by beer gut » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:57 pm

Thanx for the kind comments Seymour. That recipe makes a nice pint and like you said I love oats in my darker beers, it gives the stout a lovely creamy head with the silky sheen it's sooooo sexy =P~. Galena is made for darker beers and Bram X is the perfect partner. I have also found a new hop I love for darker beers Endeavour and pilgrim they are so nice. I have also brewed a Triple Oat stout last year with Rolled oats, Golden naked oats and malted oats very nice pint.

willc76
Tippler

Post by willc76 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:42 am

Picked this thread up a bit late. Is it just that the first American hops that I brewed a really nice beer with happens to be Apollo or is it really as good as I think it is? I've tried the citra and cascades etc but Apollo just seems to have a lot about it. Was very cheap a couple of years ago but noticed the price has gone up. Is there a big commercial beer soaking up some of the supply, or has it just been planted less / harvested badly ?

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:37 pm

It does seem to have moved into the more expensive category - presumably demand. You can't be alone in rating it highly. I've only used it once, in a blend with two other hops. The beer was good.