Rhizome first aid??

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
andybiochem

Rhizome first aid??

Post by andybiochem » Mon May 26, 2014 10:00 am

Hi,

I went to some extraordinary lengths to get hold of a cutting of a wild hop rhizome six weeks ago. A friend has been using these hops over the last couple of years, and rates them really highly - though I've not actually seen them or tasted his beer yet. Problem is, the plants are being pulled up along with the rest of the wild plants to make way for a building site.

We took some root cuttings, but I think I made a bit of a hash of it having never made root cuttings before, and we were in a rush. Two of the three cuttings I made just haven't responded much to being re-planted, and look a bit rotted to me. The remaining cutting did appear to root, and sent up a green shoot. The shoot made it about 5cm tall and had 4/5 leaves, so I thought all was well.

I checked the plant again yesterday, and disaster! The green shoot had turned yellowish, and is limp.

I carefully dug up the rhizome, and it has one short root. The rest of the rhizome is covered in small white nodules which I guess/hope will turn into new roots - but the two that died also had these nodules.

What are the absolute best conditions I should provide to get this rhizome going? I've got access to temperature/humidity control, pure (RO) water, perlite, vermiculite, lots of different plant nutes, etc. I've successfully rescued very poorly looking chilli plants through hydroponic techniques, but really don't want to risk losing this hop plant.

Thanks for any advice!!
Last edited by andybiochem on Mon May 26, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Re: Rhizome first aid??

Post by Blackaddler » Mon May 26, 2014 11:11 am

They like good, well drained soil. When they start sprouting, keep them sheltered from the wind until established. You could put a sawn-off plastic bottle over any new shoots.

Otherwise, I'd just leave 'em be.