dry hopping....how long

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

dry hopping....how long

Post by timbo41 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:58 am

Folks dry hopped a golden ale three days ago with 50 g first gold pellets straight in no bag
At moment, the hops have dissolved and ive got a ginormous algea looking blanket like a green krausen.
Can i expect these to sink given time....ive read too long dry hopping can leave oily grassy tastes..not wanted.
Or should i sieve this lot off before racking? Always used a hop bag before
Last edited by timbo41 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just like trying new ideas!

AnthonyUK

Re: dry hopping....how long

Post by AnthonyUK » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:14 am

If you can drop the temp then you should find they all drop out. I wouldn't leave them more than about a week though.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:25 am

AnthonyUK wrote:If you can drop the temp then you should find they all drop out. I wouldn't leave them more than about a week though.
People say this but one one of the long established methods of dry hopping is loose heads in the keg, where they might sit for weeks or even months - anyway until the keg is emptied. So what's it to be I wonder.
Best wishes

Dave

timbo41
Under the Table

Post by timbo41 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:46 am

Yeah figured a cold crash would help so have moved to shed...have fridge but havent sorted permanent power supply yet..

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:49 am

Dave S wrote:
AnthonyUK wrote:If you can drop the temp then you should find they all drop out. I wouldn't leave them more than about a week though.
People say this but one one of the long established methods of dry hopping is loose heads in the keg, where they might sit for weeks or even months - anyway until the keg is emptied. So what's it to be I wonder.
People also said if you leave it too long you can end up with a grassy flavour which I found was what happened.
I would guess it would be hop dependent to a degree.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:28 pm

I puree hops for maximum effect, you end up with a slurry a bit like hop pellets. 2-3 days is enough with either of these for peak aroma.

When racking to my bottling bucket I put a fine mesh bag over the end of the siphon that goes into the bottling bucket to catch any bits. You'll also need to make sure there's a trap on the other end of your siphon so it doesn't get blocked.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

timbo41
Under the Table

Post by timbo41 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:25 pm

The cold as i can get it seems to be working
Will rack off over weekend, incorporating that mesh idea,Jocky. Do you boil the mesh up first for sanitation?

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:53 pm

Yes. Boil for 15 mins.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

critch

Post by critch » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:47 pm

i dry hop in the fv for 3-7 days, never seen increased hop flavour/aroma with the longer period tbh

when ive dry hopped a cask i tend to use 100g of compressed hops(bit like a type 100 pellet) and bung it into the cask a week or so before venting it, never had a problem with grassy tastes with any of them(although i know it can happen, ive experienced it with a friends monster hopped ipa

critch

Post by critch » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:51 pm

got to admit slurrying is the dogs danglies cant do it at work,did try once, it took me hours to wizz the hops up in a semi proffessional food processor!

timbo41
Under the Table

Post by timbo41 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:28 pm

Well, guys, I left them in five days, then racked off with a bag ad jocky suggested..
tried a quickie yesterday...end result ...tbh couldn't notice any hugely discernible difference!!

Perhaps its just me!!

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:26 am

It's subtle with English hops - it just adds a bit of extra complexity. Equally there's probably still a lot of yeast flavour in there, which will drop out as the beer conditions.

timbo41
Under the Table

Post by timbo41 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Very true....if it ever gets a decent chance! !