Bittering Base

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
fisherman

Bittering Base

Post by fisherman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi Lads, I have ideas on hop ibu and how to try to improve hop taste, Including lots of hop types. For my next brews I intend to use Magnum pellets at 12.8 AA for the main battering hop to 15 ibu in all brews as this hop has little flavour just clean crisp bitterness.Then 15 min additions of either .Citra....Nelson...Amarillo"...EKG. So all the taste should come from 15 and 5 min additions. Do you think to many different hops in the boil maybe will confuse our taste buds. This does happen in food with spicesWhat do you think of this method.? :D

barry44

Re: Bittering Base

Post by barry44 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:55 pm

Fisherman, what you are describing is pretty much how I brew.

I use magnum as my workhorse, giving clean bitterness to about 20ibu before loading up at five minutes with a dry hop addition as well.

The taste does come from the later additions as you say.

With adding so many different hops, there is a chance that you may lose the flavours of each individual hop or else you could have made the best beer ever!!

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:52 am

My experience with Magnum's bittering in the two brews I've used it for so far is that it is so smooth I think you can use way more of it without it punching you in the face.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Odp: Bittering Base

Post by zgoda » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:13 pm

I use Iunga for this purpose. Magnum has this tongue drying sensation I can't stand. I traced this sensation to its Galena roots, and all Magnum derivative varieties share this, eg Magnat.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:43 pm

I was listening to a download from one of the headbrewers at Siera Nevada and he even uses Magnum with citra or centinal for late hopping. I have never tried Magnum yet as I do not brew in the summer months. I must admit I am bored . In September I shall order loads of malt and do 50 litre brews weekly to fill up my 800 bottles for the Winter. :D

DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Odp: Bittering Base

Post by DeGarre » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:49 am

zgoda wrote:... Magnum has this tongue drying sensation I can't stand...
Agreed, that dryness for me is almost metallic.