Frozen Hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Terrybadboy

Frozen Hops

Post by Terrybadboy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Newish to homebrew a couple of brews done but i have a question about using frozen hops;

I've got some whole leaf Styrian Goldings and Saaz which after using some i carefully repacked and froze. What are they good for after this?

Should i only use them for bittering? Or are they now only good for aroma hops?

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Re: Frozen Hops

Post by chastuck » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:19 pm

Terrybadboy wrote:Newish to homebrew a couple of brews done but i have a question about using frozen hops;

I've got some whole leaf Styrian Goldings and Saaz which after using some i carefully repacked and froze. What are they good for after this?

Use them as any other hops. I keep my hops frozen for up to two years. Squeeze as much air as possible from the bag before sealing and freezing.

Terrybadboy

Post by Terrybadboy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks for that chap

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:59 pm

chastuck wrote:
Terrybadboy wrote:Newish to homebrew a couple of brews done but i have a question about using frozen hops;

Use them as any other hops. I keep my hops frozen for up to two years. Squeeze as much air as possible from the bag before sealing and freezing.
I had some amarillos that were still good after five years.
I'm just here for the beer.

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:54 am

Airtight is key. Freezing is really just keeping them cold as they don't really freeze as they are dry so there is basically no water content to freeze.
As long as you repacked them with as little air as you can they will be fine for ages.
A vacuum packer is a good investment ;)

Terrybadboy

Post by Terrybadboy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:52 am

thanks guys

critch

Post by critch » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:27 pm

sorry steve, ill have to argue that temp is much more important that exposure to air. i just tape my bales up(you find a vacuum packer for 5kg!) if theyre left in the cool room they last a couple of months before theyre utter junk(if im lucky) in the freezer they last years. undoubtably vacuum packing is really good too though :D

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Freezers probably keep them dry also, I'd imagine the humidity at -18 degC has to be low!

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:20 am

critch wrote:sorry steve, ill have to argue that temp is much more important that exposure to air. i just tape my bales up(you find a vacuum packer for 5kg!) if theyre left in the cool room they last a couple of months before theyre utter junk(if im lucky) in the freezer they last years. undoubtably vacuum packing is really good too though :D
Thats intersting. Storing hops is always more supersticion than science for me and whilst I do try to keep air out before I freeze its nice to know that the temperature is probably the key factor. I must admit I've just used some citra that had been resealed and frozen for 9ms without ill affect