Moving hops.

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Cazamodo

Moving hops.

Post by Cazamodo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:50 am

Due to moving house, which has taken longer than usual, I just let my three hop plants go wild this year.
They have grown mad and have way too many bines, but after this season I plan to re-plant them (actually try and swap them if I can for different varieties) BUT

Whats the best way of doing this. I dont want to damage the roots, but heard they have probably spread quite far underground

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Re: Moving hops.

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:50 pm

If you are able to leave them til the end of October so they start to die back a bit would be best. Dig about a foot from the hill using a fork and try to get under the main plant. You are bound to leave a fair amount of root behind but it wont suffer much. May not grow as strong next year but will do the following one.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Cazamodo

Re: Moving hops.

Post by Cazamodo » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:16 am

scuppeteer wrote:If you are able to leave them til the end of October so they start to die back a bit would be best. Dig about a foot from the hill using a fork and try to get under the main plant. You are bound to leave a fair amount of root behind but it wont suffer much. May not grow as strong next year but will do the following one.
Cheers. Leaving them is not a problem. Will have a go then!