Low Alpha Bittering Hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
alwilson

Low Alpha Bittering Hops

Post by alwilson » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:09 pm

Afternoon Comrades!

Has anyone noticed (perhaps just me and perhaps just a one off) that the same IBU of lower alpha hops (as a bittering addition) provide a smoother, softer bitterness than a smaller charge of high Alphas - even with a relatively low cohumulone level?

I normally bitter with warrior, high alpha (>17%), low cohumulone (<26% of Alpha) but recently ran out and made do with a lot of goldings @ t-90, to the same IBU's (according to formulae rather than analysis).

Was that just a one off? Perhaps a perfect storm? Or is there something to be said about low alphas bittering potential.

I've used many high alpha hop at bittering and found they mostly left that 'ack' taste in the back of your mouth, with the exception of Warrior (well at least its a suitable balance anyway)

Anyway, any similar experience? Thoughts?

Cheers
Alex

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Re: Low Alpha Bittering Hops

Post by timbo41 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:28 pm

:roll: Totally agree with you. Have also found that a bigger charge if high alpha later in boil can provide sane smooth effect.
I actually think as homebrewers we got caught up in the high alpha furore.
commercial hop growers bred to their commercial customer's requirements ...ie more ibu, less needed,less $$$
Just like trying new ideas!