Keyworth Early

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Keyworth Early

Post by charliemartin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:02 pm

raiderman wrote:Just tasted mine before bottling. There's a lemon balm aroma to it. I think it could be quite nice. The wife said it could be wine. Make what you will of that!
Sounds like it could be a winner. Reading all these posts is making me want to brew. My Keyworth Pale is next on the agenda, but I still have two brews in FVs at the moment and I think the wife will kill me if I have another brewday before they are bottled. :roll:

I think my favourite hop so far has been Archers. Was very sad when that beer ran out. Haven't been able to get hold of any more of those hops which is disappointing. :(

Good luck with your brew.

Cheers,
Charliemartin
Altonrea Homebrew

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:12 am

I've legged mine now. it was completely clear and on tasting -interesting. Very lager like, but with a rounder more dominant aroma. I'd used mainly MO with a tad carapils and light rye malt, saison yeast - with the exception of the rye and perhaps wheat my standard mix, so the lagerish as opposed to blondish trait has to be down to the hops. I think it will be a nice blonde er summer ale

DeGarre

Post by DeGarre » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:50 am

I will bottle mine tomorrow, the sample tasted promising, yeast was s04 and malts were pale, wheat and crystal. I will report in a week's time.

DeGarre

Post by DeGarre » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:23 pm

In the summer the beers carbonated in 3-4 days, now it's been a week since bottling and it's not quite there yet. 2nd test bottle. Keyworth Early. I cannot find anything that would remind me of US hops, no citrus, no dank, no pine, no grapefruit. Instead, pure 100% English in character, but somehow very balanced, it's more like a generic hop. Nothing jumps out. It's refreshing, perhaps a bit minty, I am sure many would say boring. Clean. Million times better than Progress. A bit like sanitised version of Northdown. But the thing is, it is very difficult to describe it. I think it's very very good. Let's wait a few weeks, it might be easier to describe it later on as it develops in the bottle.

Have to say I am a bit puzzled about this hop. I guess it would suit quaffable golden ales etc.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Great commentary, DeGarre. Thanks for that.

Timbo41 generously mailed me some Keyworth Midseason to try. Has anyone used this other Keyworth variety?

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Tasting mine properly now. The aroma isn't pronounced but there is lemon there. It's clean not a strong aroma no sharpness so isn't citric. In the taste it's slightly sharpe not entirely pleasant. Less of a lager feel but does have a wheat beer feel even though there was no wheat in the brew! I will give it another week and then I may dry hop with citra

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:07 pm

raiderman wrote:...I will give it another week and then I may dry hop with citra
Are there any of your brews which don't receive that treatment? I've created a monster! :)

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:59 am

seymour wrote:
raiderman wrote:...I will give it another week and then I may dry hop with citra
Are there any of your brews which don't receive that treatment? I've created a monster! :)
Citra is the MSG of the brewing world. It will rescue anything!

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:48 pm

I've reappraised this hop. Its quite cultured now its had a month legged to settle down, there is a lemony flavour, not a huge aroma, but in a blonde ale its quite refreshing