Amarillo and/or Chinook

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
SquireKnott

Amarillo and/or Chinook

Post by SquireKnott » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:18 pm

I've got about 60g of Amarillo hops (and 100g of Chinook hop pellets I could use) and am looking to use them in a Milestone Shine On.

If I add an Amarillo hop tea at the off then dry hop with the rest after fermentation would splitting this 30g and 30g do any good?

Should I use some of the Chinook aswell? Do the two go together?

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Amarillo and/or Chinook

Post by Rookie » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:45 am

SquireKnott wrote:I've got about 60g of Amarillo hops (and 100g of Chinook hop pellets I could use) and am looking to use them in a Milestone Shine On.

If I add an Amarillo hop tea at the off then dry hop with the rest after fermentation would splitting this 30g and 30g do any good?

Should I use some of the Chinook aswell? Do the two go together?
I like Amarillo, but have never used chinook, however I had a chinook/simcoe beer at a recent beer fest that was very good and I love simcoe and Amarillo together. To my way of thinking A & C should work together.
I'm just here for the beer.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:42 am

Well I've used both regularly and love them both, I tend to use Chinook as a bittering hop, as it is quite a high AA hop. But it does bring a bit of grapefruit to the party so a smaller late addition along with the Amarillo should work brilliantly.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:43 am

orlando wrote:Well I've used both regularly and love them both, I tend to use Chinook as a bittering hop, as it is quite a high AA hop. But it does bring a bit of grapefruit to the party so a smaller late addition (and/or dry hop) along with the Amarillo should work brilliantly.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

SquireKnott

Post by SquireKnott » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:03 am

Thank you.

I've only ever made a tea from whole hops rather than pellets - would I just soak some and then pour it in through a sieve or should I just chuck the pellets straight in from the off for bittering? And how many grams?

orlando

Post by orlando » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:59 am

SquireKnott wrote:Thank you.

I've only ever made a tea from whole hops rather than pellets - would I just soak some and then pour it in through a sieve or should I just chuck the pellets straight in from the off for bittering? And how many grams?
Are we talking an AG brew or a kit? If a kit I think the very best time would be to add the tea (sanitised sieve) once the fermentation is over. If an AG brew you can add as a hot steep at around 80c or again add as a dry hop at the end of fermentation. If you can crash cool then you could adopt a pellet dry hop for both as the cooling will help them drop out. If you go for the dry hop option more is more. 30g works really well but I've double dry hopped before where after a couple of days I remove the first lot then add again. If you want aroma in your face this works well.

Fermenting:
Conditioning: