Old hops ?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
NickL

Old hops ?

Post by NickL » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:39 pm

I am resuming brewing after a long break and going through all of my old gear I found an unopened vac pack of dried hops (northern brewer fwiw) two years past its best before. Is it at all useable? would I have to use more to compensate or is it fit only for the bin? Seems a shame to waste it.

Nick

mozza
Under the Table

Re: Old hops ?

Post by mozza » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:42 pm

Some people would tell you to bin them but if they've been sealed up they should be fine. Smell them first though. If they smell good and look okay then chances are they are fine :lol:
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

Charles1968

Post by Charles1968 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:06 pm

You can use them for bittering but you need to recalculate the alpha acid value:
http://brewerslog.appspot.com/HopAlphaCalc

NickL

Post by NickL » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks for the replies, I will try and use them. I'm not much of one for calculation unfortunately I'll just trust my nose and instincts, obviously won't open them until I'm ready to go. :D

Charles1968

Post by Charles1968 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:46 pm

If you stored them in a freezer you'll need about 2-3 times the normal amount for bittering. If you stored them at room temp, you'll need about 9 times the normal amount. Might be better to get fresh hops if they weren't frozen.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:37 pm

Charles1968 wrote:If you stored them in a freezer you'll need about 2-3 times the normal amount for bittering. If you stored them at room temp, you'll need about 9 times the normal amount. Might be better to get fresh hops if they weren't frozen.
Steady on. That's a bit over the top. 9 times the amount could turn your cheeks inside out!

If they don't smell cheesy then they're fine to use as you wish, but for bittering, as already stated adjust the AA% accordingly.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Charles1968

Post by Charles1968 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:37 am

scuppeteer wrote:Steady on. That's a bit over the top. 9 times the amount could turn your cheeks inside out!
It won't if the alpha acid level has fallen to one ninth of the level when fresh, which is what the hop calculator suggests. Probably quite a wide margin of error at such an age, so I don't think they are usable.

chris172
Piss Artist

Post by chris172 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:42 pm

If you freeze hops that are not used on a brew day from a fresh vac sealed bag and freeze them on the same day do you have to allow for AA% when used on next brew day? I thought they were OK in the freezer... or am I wrong? #-o
All the gear with no idea...
Braumeister 20L - NOW SOLD

Charles1968

Post by Charles1968 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:42 pm

Alpha acid % falls much more slowly if you keep the hops frozen.

I'm not sure what most brewers do about, say, hops bought this year from a 2012 harvest. I usually take the stated alpha acid level as correct at the time I open the packet, whatever the year of harvest, and only make adjustments after I've opened the packet and let in air.