wilds in essex

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: wilds in essex

Post by seymour » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:52 pm

That's such a cool project, I hope you get to be a part of it.
I like that "hop spotting guide" too: http://adnams.co.uk/about/news/beer-new ... -spotting/
timbo41 wrote:...Also, TallyHo is back in bottle conditioned form
I saw that, but bottled by an outside contractor. I highly doubt it's done with the brewery dual-strain yeast, though, since one of those strains is a poor flocculator. None of their public info says one way or the other. Have you heard anything definitive?
timbo41 wrote:...As to rhoizome, the idea interests me. But the big stand I mentioned in original post is mixed heavily with hedgerow on edge of culvert. When I find one more accessible, ill have a go.
Sounds good. Best of luck!
timbo41 wrote:...Is it possible to procure a known male, and cross pollinate for known characteristics. I know you've an interest
Yes and yes. For that matter, you don't even need to transplant the male rhizome. You can break-off some bines with male flowers, take 'em home and twist-tie 'em onto your cultivated female bines (assuming they are setting female flowers at the same time), then let the wind blow the pollen where it will. Voila, open cross-pollination!

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:46 pm

That's interesting. A project with distinct possiibilities on a small scale....imagination goes overdrive. So get either wild rhizome or certified rootstock + known male. New variety. The breeding of hops was one of your threads can you linky please?
Just like trying new ideas!

BeerBloke
CBA Prizewinner 2008

Post by BeerBloke » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:58 pm

seymour wrote:Bump.

So, did any of you guys brew with these wild Essex hops yet? If so, how did the ale turn out?

Cheers!
Not wild hops no, I prefer to use the one's we grow in our own 1 acre Essex Hop Yard......If you're going to do a green hopped beer then at least use plenty of them is my philosophy!!
What's so unpleasant about being drunk? Ask a glass of water!

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:42 pm

I'm going to see if I can get some from Hyde Hall next year, they grew and harvested their first crop this year.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:13 pm

GrowlingDogBeer wrote:I'm going to see if I can get some from Hyde Hall next year, they grew and harvested their first crop this year.
From the bit I read Steve The Brentwood Brewery are taking the lot at the moment.

andyCo

Post by andyCo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:59 pm

Dennis King wrote:
GrowlingDogBeer wrote:I'm going to see if I can get some from Hyde Hall next year, they grew and harvested their first crop this year.
From the bit I read Steve The Brentwood Brewery are taking the lot at the moment.
From reading the article for the echo its says
It is believed to be the first commercial beer to be brewed with Essex-grown hops in more than 50 years.

Full article http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/1168272 ... all_hops_/

Not to sure if Phil at wibblers got a beer out using home grown hops yet ....Edit just read this http://www.wibblersbrewery.org.uk/the-b ... op-harvest.

I read that Sibel Hedingham once had over 200 acres of hop plantations in 1640, so it looks like the Essex boot cloding clay soil seems to suit the growing of hops ..

My 2nd year Golden tassle , all though not a sort after brewing hop as such but has a nice aroma, produced a good yield this year.
My 1st Cascade, not as good as the tassel but went well , sazz,northdown and challenger, not so good tbh but all had hops =D>

last year I took a few cuttings from my plants and had good success , might take the Mrs for a ride out and have a look Hyde hall , 2 birds one stone and all that, with a concealed pen knife ....for a cutting... not disposing of a body :lol:

Andy

BenB

Post by BenB » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:47 pm

Ah. Brings back memories. The missus and I got married in Castle Hedingham. In the Norman castle. Wonderful day. Nice pub in the village too. Stayed there the night before and had a few too many of the local ales. My speech was decididly last minute. Happy days.

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:11 am

Well its still on my patch guys.....but I'm not telling you where all the bines are!!! Funny how you spot them all over once you know they're about! Taste wise, in the green hop pale ale I used them in I found them very mild slightly spicy
Just like trying new ideas!

BeerBloke
CBA Prizewinner 2008

Post by BeerBloke » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:27 pm

andyCo wrote:
Dennis King wrote:
From reading the article for the echo its says
It is believed to be the first commercial beer to be brewed with Essex-grown hops in more than 50 years.

Full article http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/1168272 ... all_hops_/

Not to sure if Phil at wibblers got a beer out using home grown hops yet ....Edit just read this http://www.wibblersbrewery.org.uk/the-b ... op-harvest.

I read that Sibel Hedingham once had over 200 acres of hop plantations in 1640, so it looks like the Essex boot cloding clay soil seems to suit the growing of hops ..

My 2nd year Golden tassle , all though not a sort after brewing hop as such but has a nice aroma, produced a good yield this year.
My 1st Cascade, not as good as the tassel but went well , sazz,northdown and challenger, not so good tbh but all had hops =D>

last year I took a few cuttings from my plants and had good success , might take the Mrs for a ride out and have a look Hyde hall , 2 birds one stone and all that, with a concealed pen knife ....for a cutting... not disposing of a body :lol:

Andy
Like fook it is!

Just seen this thread, we've been commercially growing hops for the last 4 years!!!

Grrr :evil:
What's so unpleasant about being drunk? Ask a glass of water!