Dryin' em

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Padalac

Dryin' em

Post by Padalac » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:24 pm

fellow hop growers... there must be some of you out there who are drying them at home.. how are you doing it? Pictures of your setup?? Would love to see some and learn from you guys

Mr. Dripping

Re: Dryin' em

Post by Mr. Dripping » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:59 pm

A friend of mine dried a big batch in his loft. He tied an old bed-sheet up by each corner and spread the hops over it to dry. At this time of year the loft is still quite warm and you should get good airflow. Worked for him :)

hophit

Post by hophit » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:24 pm

Your hops are ready for harvesting already? I bough a plant this year and they are only now in burr. I panicked and thought they were producing male flowers but was informed that they are female flowers and will turn to hop cones ready for harvesting at the end of this month - can't wait, though was wondering myself the best way to dry them, or whether to just try using them fresh off the plant (I hear you can do this). I have no idea on the relative quantity of fresh and wet hops you would use compared to dried though.

boingy

Post by boingy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:37 pm

I made big open envelopes out of newspaper and stirred the hops around every day. Seemed to work OK.

But, yes, do make a wet hop brew. They are excellent.
Assume wet hops are 4 to 5 times the weight of dry.

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:48 pm

I spread my cones out on elevated window screens (a.k.a., insect screens in the UK).

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:51 pm

I have a mini oast house made of 3mm ply, sticky tape, metal grill and the wife's hair dryer!
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

Padalac

Post by Padalac » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:28 am

Great ideas. I'd love an oast house! I've got a hair dryer and a dehumidifier.. maybe I can rig something together..

Also, no my hops aren't quite ready to pick yet, but I do have large quantity of big, fully developed cones, so I thought I'd better get goin'

What beer styles do you guys think are best suited to wet-hopping? I like the idea of a wet hopped saison. Also never made a saison, so good excuse?

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:13 am

Here's another thread

Mushroom trays...

hophit

Post by hophit » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:08 am

Is there any way of testing the alpha acid percentage or does one simply guess based on the strain?

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:58 am

YeastWhisperer wrote:I spread my cones out on elevated window screens (a.k.a., insect screens in the UK).
Me too. I don't have any photos, but I'll try to remember to take some this year.

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:00 am

I dried mine on cheap canvas camp beds in my shed. Its dark and sits at about 30c here. They dried really well and keep their colour fine. Couple of days and they were done.

Here is a link to a pic showing the cascade drying on their first day, I had about 4 times this amount from 2 plants. I then bagged them in big plastic bags loose, sucked the air out and stuck them in a big freezer. I didn't vac pack them in small bags as I just had way too many.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10895461 ... jruKy6jASQ

Padalac

Post by Padalac » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:57 pm

heya guys. thanks for the tips/

anyone use a vacuum sealer? I'm considering buying one - they have some for around £40 on amazon, but I'd rather spend that on something else... does just sealing them up by hand and freezing them work?

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:36 am

Padalac wrote:heya guys. thanks for the tips/

anyone use a vacuum sealer? I'm considering buying one - they have some for around £40 on amazon, but I'd rather spend that on something else... does just sealing them up by hand and freezing them work?
Once my homegrown hops are dried (or whenever I get commercial hops in bulk) I use a vacuum sealer to seal them into smaller packs, usually 70-100g each. I stuff as many as I can fit into my fridge and share the rest with friends. Someday I hope to get a small dedicated basement fridge, but this way boosts my popularity better. :)

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:29 pm

I lay them out in my airing cupboard on sheets of newspaper. They take four or five days to dry. I can't see any advantage in using fans or heaters.

DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DeGarre » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:42 am

I picked some 200+ grams of wild hops and left them green and put them straight into the freezer as I didn't have a chance to dry them. Will they be OK like this for brewing?