Sussex hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Clibit
Under the Table

Sussex hops

Post by Clibit » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:57 pm

These are not listed on the Charles Faram site, but still seem to be available. Has anyone brewed with them and, if so, can you describe what they were like?

britishhops.org.uk says:

"This is a new hop, found in 2005 on Gate Court, Northiam. Sussex was a ‘chance find’ in a hedgerow and Peter Cyster cultivated it and propagated it because it looked very promising. It is an aroma hop, with low alpha, typically showing some 4%. It is wilt tolerant, giving a reading of 65, and is reasonably tolerant of downy and powdery mildew. It is a very easy hop to grow, very vigorous, easy to propagate and a good climber.

Brewing trials locally yield a delicate flavour, not unlike Fuggle, with good flavour retention and it is probably best suited to a light ale."

Alpha acid: 4.3-5.8%
Beta acid: 2.4-3.2%
Co-Humulone: 29-32%
Total Oils: 0.4-0.6%
Myrcene: 42%
Humulene: 23%
Farnesene: Trace

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Sussex hops

Post by Eadweard » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:16 pm

I'd say it had quite a fruity flavour. Old Dairy Brewery 'Wild Hop' is 100% Sussex IIRC. Harvey's also do a brew using Sussex but I think they use Cascade too.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:39 pm

Be advised that there was an issue with the harvest last year so anything available will be 2012 crop or older. The entire 2014 crop has been sold already from the original farm but I understand another local farmer had planted up a good amount so I would be inclined to wait until this is made available. It is a lovely hop and I would say almost noble in its characteristics. Perfect for light/pale ales and would put my neck out to say a great lager hop also, although I have not personally brewed a lager with them.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:03 am

Thanks, good info. I've seen 2012 stock online, may give it a whirl.