3rd year hop harvest results

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Subsonic

3rd year hop harvest results

Post by Subsonic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:10 am

Its the third year of my main hop plants and here are the results. I am in the south of france and the hops adore full sun and damp roots. 2 cascade plants gave me 5lb dried hops. I had lots left on the bines but couldnt pick them all! One fuggles plant gave 2lb dried. The goldings about half a pound as it suffered this year. Bramling cross and northern brewer are in a shadier spot and only produced about a pound each. The saaz, challenger, perle and target were planted this year and did not produce but grew OK. All in I was pretty happy, full sun, rich moist soil seem to be the key. Sub. PS. There are some videos on YouTube, just look up agathescom channel

killer
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: 3rd year hop harvest results

Post by killer » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi Subsonic,

I am very interested in how those cascade turn out... Do update when you do a brew. I see comptoir-houblon had some for sale as well as some columbus. Would love to know how they compare to the american grown ones.
Also have you gotten your hands on any of the experimental varieties coming out of Alsace ? I tried a Barbe Rouge FPA (French Pale ale they are calling it) and was quite impressed.

Cheers.

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:17 am

I did a brew on Sunday with a lot of cascade, its a kind of sierra Nevada clone. I will let you know how it turns out but it smells awesome in the fermentor. With my malt at 9 euro for 25kg (I malt all my own barley) this 30 litres cost me about 4 quid!

killer
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by killer » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:44 am

Did you brew any green beers with hops picked directly from the bine ?

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:56 pm

No I didn't. I'm not sure about using green hops, I worry they may impart a leafy taste so I've never done it. Might be OK mind I guess.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:18 pm

Congratulations, that's really great.