Homegrown Hops do they differ in taste?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
phatboytall
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Homegrown Hops do they differ in taste?

Post by phatboytall » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:51 pm

Simple question, how have people found their homegrown hops taste?

Similar to the shop bought ones of the same variety? Or are they radically different depending on sunlight, water, terroir?
I am not a Beer expert.....thats exactly the point.

Check out my blog where i review bottled beers
http://www.thebeerbunker.co.uk/ or find me on twitter @thebeerbunker

Subsonic

Re: Homegrown Hops do they differ in taste?

Post by Subsonic » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:00 pm

I find mine very similar but better, then again I am biassed! There is hardly any time lag from picking to drying and freezing, so I find them extremely fragrant. I'm more than happy and haven't bought any hops for 3 years now. Sub

boingy

Post by boingy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:39 pm

They are a product of their environment so growing the same hop in a different region/country/climate gives different results. How different? No idea! Mine smell and taste great but I'm not good enough to usefully compare them with the bought equivalents.

Wezzel

Post by Wezzel » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:45 pm

Do you use them purely as aroma hops as you don't know the alpha acid percentage?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:12 am

Wezzel wrote:Do you use them purely as aroma hops as you don't know the alpha acid percentage?
Good question... as a first year grower waiting to pick a meager harvest its not a crucial question this year, but how do we go about estimating/deriving an alpha % for our home grown hops.....
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

phatboytall

Post by phatboytall » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:02 am

I have done 2 different brews using 100% garden grown Cascade.

In a month or so i will post back and report on how they taste! I'm pretty familiar with 100% cascade beers so I hope to be able to judge them reasonably fairly.

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:34 pm

My homegrown Fuggles always seem greener and more aromatic than commercial ones. I boasted about them here.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:23 pm

Fil wrote:
Wezzel wrote:Do you use them purely as aroma hops as you don't know the alpha acid percentage?
Good question... as a first year grower waiting to pick a meager harvest its not a crucial question this year, but how do we go about estimating/deriving an alpha % for our home grown hops.....
For bittering I take the AA% range for store bought hops of the same variety and pick a number in the middle and plan my recipes to account for there being maybe more or less AA%. I rarely use them for all the bittering charge. For flavor and aroma I don't worry all that much about it.
I'm just here for the beer.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:16 pm

Using a commercial AA% is a reasonable base but bear in mind they can differ by several % year to year. Terroir also impacts as American Cascade are always higher AA% than English. If you are willing to wait a month or two after harvest you can generally glean information from the Hop merchants as most of the years analysis are usually done by then, so it will give you a better idea. But as Rookie says if you're just adding them late then there is no problem.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

hophit

Post by hophit » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:53 pm

When will mine be ready to pick? I have a cascade plant (year 1, in which i wasn't expecting to get many hops but seem to have shit loads). The cones are looking pretty big but I picked one yesterday to see how aromatic they were and they smelled very little, so I am guessing the oils come later...?

phatboytall

Post by phatboytall » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Well having brewed with 100% homegrown hops i have to conclude that they do taste different.

I bought a cascade plant from a reputed online shop, but i ahve to say the end outcome of the hops in the beer in not pleasant. Borderline drinkable. It has a funny floral twang to it.

Terroir is king it seems.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:28 am

phatboytall wrote:Well having brewed with 100% homegrown hops i have to conclude that they do taste different.

I bought a cascade plant from a reputed online shop, but i ahve to say the end outcome of the hops in the beer in not pleasant. Borderline drinkable. It has a funny floral twang to it.

Terroir is king it seems.
perhaps a little longer maturing will help round off the twang?? dont write off the plant tho it may be a side effect of being the 1st year, im no expert just an optomist ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(