Vac pack and done?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
bigdave

Vac pack and done?

Post by bigdave » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:24 am

If I buy a 5kg bail, split it into 250g bags and vac pack it, does it really need freezer storage?

If I buy hops from a home brew supplier, they have bought a 5kg bail, split it into 100g bags and vac packed it. Then left that bag (at room temp) on a shelf in a shop/warehouse for a while before being sold on on to me...

Is it the vac packing / lack of air that preserves hops or the mylar vac bags blocking the light?

Jonnyconga
Piss Artist

Re: Vac pack and done?

Post by Jonnyconga » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:55 am

Haha - you seen that sale on at simply hops?! Was tempted myself. In answer to the question at hand - I think it's both. UV and O2 certainly both have an effect on lots of things - and I imagine this includes hops.
I have some of my hops in the freezer (what I can fit it) and some in a cool dark cupboard - vac packed. Don't have any experience about the exact difference this will make though... (I haven't really answered the question at all have I...)

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:01 am

Ha i almost ordered about of 20kg of hops.thankfully i had a dry evening and common sence kicked in b4 i found me credit card... tho if anyone has bought some interesting sale 5kg bails of whole or pellets and wants to off load a kilo at cost +pnp pm me ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:11 am

I think I'm in line for about a few kg. lol

I've got about 5kg in the freezer at the moment and no space for any more (hence the above question).

Jonnyconga
Piss Artist

Post by Jonnyconga » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:28 pm

Damn - missed your thread about brawling cross Dave - those hops went quick eh??! Think all are accounted for now it seems. With free del from simply hops it seems silly not to do a few...!!!

I reckon vaccum packing and darkness is a load better than not - and being in a freezer improves this even better. On another post it said that simply hops store cool and in nitrogen - I can vouch for that from a 5kg bail I've had in the past..