Hop Steeping Question

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
daddies-beer-factory

Hop Steeping Question

Post by daddies-beer-factory » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:36 pm

I am going to brew an American Pale Ale soon, OG 1047 , at 34 IBU using Magnum as 1st hops (26.5 IBU) & Centinnial as late hops (7.6 IBU).

My question is I have about 90 g of Chinook not being used for anything, If I put it all in to steep will it ruin the balanced beer ?

I have not yet got into dry hopping yet as its one more thing to do - I would rather just add some to steep - is 90 g too much ?

If I dont use the Chinook up this time I will probably bin it. #-o

Charles1968

Re: Hop Steeping Question

Post by Charles1968 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Chuck it all in after the boil once the wort has cooled to 80 Celsius. It makes no difference to bitterness at that point so you'll just get aroma without upsetting the balance. You can't use too much aroma hops. Use a hop/grain bag if possible as it stops things getting messy and you'll lose less wort.

daddies-beer-factory

Post by daddies-beer-factory » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks Charles - 2 questions on your post, I will cool to 80 C then put the hops in - but for how long do I hold the temp before I crash cool ?

Can I just throw them in loose ? I do this with all my other hops & I manage to draw off clear wort at the end.

Cheers

deanrpwaacs
Piss Artist

Post by deanrpwaacs » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:33 am

Chuck them in loose and give a swirl with a sterile implement leave for 20-30 mins then crash cool .
Drinking ,Arrogant Bsteward,Black Wit,Cream Rye Stout,
Conditioning,Tally Ho,Spitfire
In the FV,Nowt
In the cube,Nowt
Coming up ,Old Spec Hen,Red IPA,Mega Hop Thing,Larkins Chidingstone,maybe a venture into Lager.
Love hops drink beer have a look here http://uk.ebid.net/items/ramengltddean

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:45 am

daddies-beer-factory wrote:I am going to brew an American Pale Ale soon, OG 1047 , at 34 IBU using Magnum as 1st hops (26.5 IBU) & Centinnial as late hops (7.6 IBU).

My question is I have about 90 g of Chinook not being used for anything, If I put it all in to steep will it ruin the balanced beer ?

I have not yet got into dry hopping yet as its one more thing to do - I would rather just add some to steep - is 90 g too much ?

If I dont use the Chinook up this time I will probably bin it. #-o
Have you ever had a beer with a lot of Chinook at the end? If you have and liked it go ahead, but it can be a very pungent hop. For an APA it would be better going in as 1st hops instead of the magnum.
Why bin it? Wrap it up good and chuck it in the freezer for use sometime next year.
I'm just here for the beer.

daddies-beer-factory

Post by daddies-beer-factory » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi Rookie - We have Punk Ipa here & it has a massive punchy , chinook ending, & I am a big hop head.

I decided to go with the chinook (i had 82g) to use it up, after reading a post about possible infection from putting in hops post boil - I got a bit concerned.

after calculating ibu on brewers friend I actually put the chinook in for 5 mins ! to avoid any infection.

My logic is that I like American Pales, I dont mind Punk Ipa & hop aroma/presence fades with age so If I get sick of it I can keep it in the corny for a while & brew something else !

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

EDIT - it is a 52 Litre Beer.

rlemkin
Sober

Post by rlemkin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:44 pm

Don't worry about adding hops post-boil. Plenty of us have done it for a long time with no infections.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Have I read somewhere, ? Hops are/a bit anti microbial ? But anyway I guess it's to hot for comfort for most things.

And whilst thinking, on the dry hopping side. alcohol takes care of any nasties.
To Busy To Add,

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:33 pm

daddies-beer-factory wrote:Hi Rookie - We have Punk Ipa here & it has a massive punchy , chinook ending, & I am a big hop head.
I had a beer at a Beerfest over the summer that combined chinook and simcoe that was very good.
I'm just here for the beer.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:40 am

daddies-beer-factory wrote:after reading a post about possible infection from putting in hops post boil
Where on earth did you read that??? #-o

How do you think beers are dry hopped if the hops are not put in post boil? Dry hopping is done when the beer has nearly fermented, completely fermented or in a conditioning tank and this can be repeated as many times as you wish. You can use whole leaf, pellet or oils. Hops have natural antibacterial properties, hence why this can be done with absolutely no risk whatsoever to the finished product.
Where ever you read this someone needs a good kicking for posting such b*llocks! :roll:
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Mther

Post by Mther » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:17 am

Hops won't infect your beer. I always dry hop without sanitising them or anything, I just chuck them in the bucket and never had any problems. I also read that hops have those antibacterial properties...
Last edited by Mther on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daddies-beer-factory

Post by daddies-beer-factory » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:02 am

scuppeteer wrote:
daddies-beer-factory wrote:after reading a post about possible infection from putting in hops post boil
Where on earth did you read that??? #-o

How do you think beers are dry hopped if the hops are not put in post boil? Dry hopping is done when the beer has nearly fermented, completely fermented or in a conditioning tank and this can be repeated as many times as you wish. You can use whole leaf, pellet or oils. Hops have natural antibacterial properties, hence why this can be done with absolutely no risk whatsoever to the finished product.
Where ever you read this someone needs a good kicking for posting such b*llocks! :roll:
I read it on here - in grain brewing questions and answers, I will not name and shame as we all make mistakes :mrgreen:

I just read it on the day i was going to do my first dry hopping and got nervous, so i chucked the hops in for a 5 min boil.

I need to learn a bit more about the art of hops and dry hopping