America to the rescue...

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Clibit
Under the Table

America to the rescue...

Post by Clibit » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:03 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29456440

Some good news for UK hop growers at last from BBC website...

"However, over the past four years, British hop farming has revived, helped by a surge in demand from an unexpected quarter.

Farmers found that whereas in 2009 they sold only 365 tonnes of hops, in 2013 they sold 600 tonnes. Surprisingly, half of the entire crop is now being bought in the US, by small, independent brewers who make so-called craft ales."

Clibit
Under the Table

Re: America to the rescue...

Post by Clibit » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:09 pm

I wonder if the American craft brewers are largely using English hops exclusively in these new beers, or mixing them with American hops to provide a hybrid flavour. I'm finding I really like the beers that are hybrid, like the Goose Island which combines Pilgrim and Celiea with Centennial and cascade, and Bengali Tiger, which is dry hopped with lashings of ekg on top of American kettle hops. I seem to prefer this hybrid hop flavour to either all American or all English atm. In an IPA at least.

Padalac

Post by Padalac » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:01 pm

yup.. goose island ipa and brooklyn eipa - both really nice beers, both use a hybrid us/english profile.

from what i've gleaned listening to the brewing network and drinking imported beers i think there are a good number that brew english style beers with english only-hops as well, ESB seems to be popular, and bitters.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm sure that's the case. I need to track me down a Brooklyn eipa. Cheers!