Wai-iti

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
raiderman

Wai-iti

Post by raiderman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:02 pm

Bought these because it said citrus on the label and at only 3%aa I thought they might go places citra can only dream of. They smell the way juggles used to. As this is my christmas brew I went with 50g at 30m then city all the way from 15m, 10g, 20g and 30g then cooled and 80g for a long soak. My next brew I'll try a blonde and around 105g of Wai-iti and see what happens, unless anyones tried and knows it will end in tears.

Mr. Dripping

Re: Wai-iti

Post by Mr. Dripping » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Very soft, citrus.....I used a full 100g as a steep hop.
Blends well with other fruity hops and mellow English types. Excellent flavour I thought.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:49 pm

Sounds good. Probably the Citra in what I've done will overpower it. But I'm wondering about using some challenger for about 20 IBU of underlying bitterness and then throw a pack and a half of wai iti late on and steeping. Cheers

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:19 pm

That would work a treat IMO raiderman.
I find that these very fruity New World hops go great with our 'softer' English varieties.
EKG, challenger and progress work especially well.

Another combo I've had success with is a small bittering charge at 60mins.....a heap of 'English' at 20mins and then the 'fancy hop' ( :lol: ) at 5 minutes / steep.

Hope you get a winner!!

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:37 am

Brilliant -thanks for the idea. I tend to use the bittering charge route anyway and I like the idea of a backdrop of later english hops. I'll give it a go

donny70

Wai-iti

Post by donny70 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:59 pm

I did a 60 min IPA hopped at 10g per litre of wai-iti after I bittered with magnum at the 60 min mark to 40 ibus. It was unbelievably good. So much so that I bought another 250g of wai-iti.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:20 pm

This gets better and better, is there a point of no return as I'm thinking loads!

faeyd

Post by faeyd » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:52 pm

I dropped 100g in a 4 gallon brew and it ended up quite subtle - definitely not Citra power but very fruity and nice.

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:17 pm

I made a bitter with 45g fuggles for bittering and 80g Wai iti (mine was 4%AA) at various late additions and the flavour was great.