When is the best time to plant hops?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
jceg316

When is the best time to plant hops?

Post by jceg316 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:05 pm

Hello. I want to grow my own hops and was looking at getting a Cascade and Saaz. When would be the best time to plant them? I've looked online and there is a lot of conflicting information.

Thanks.

daddies-beer-factory

Re: When is the best time to plant hops?

Post by daddies-beer-factory » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:25 pm

I think i bought mine here, here is their info page http://www.essentiallyhops.co.uk/acatalog/plants.html

it says plant in the winter months & dont expect any hops the 1st year - which is what i did (i got about 3 hop cones my 1st year ) :mrgreen:

jceg316

Post by jceg316 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks, I ended up buying hops from them as well. I phoned them first to check what they mean by "winter months" and they said any time in winter. My concern was if they would die from frost or cold temps but they thrive in that environment so I'll be planting once they arrive, which I believe is in December.

I have a cascade and Saaz on the way!

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:27 pm

January is a good time, past the shortest day (obviously). Just make sure you don't plant too deep, keep the top of the rhizome above soil level ensuring all the root stock is covered. It wont hurt to put some straw around to keep any frost at bay a little.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

BenB

Post by BenB » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:46 pm

Excellent! It transpires I'll be getting into hop growing. Not sure what the eventual annual production of hop cones per plant is but I suspect more than I'll get round to using- my bro kindly brought me some hop plants I've got 2 Fuggles, 2 Styrian Goldings and 2 East Kent Goldings. Just trying to work out where I'm going to plant them! We've got a nice south facing garden but it's tiny. Not sure my wife would be that happy if I started growing hops over the windows :) We've got a fence which might suit but it's only 6 foot tall- not sure the neighbours would be that impressed with a 12 foot trellis appearing out of the top of it.

Francois

Post by Francois » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:59 pm

If you grow 6 hop plants in a small garden you're going to need a machete :-)

edonald774

Post by edonald774 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:57 am

The girlfriend bought me a little "grow your own hops" box as a stocking filler.
We've said many times that we don't have the space to grow hops(or the climate in Scotland) but she's now telling me that if i get it to grow we'll make space.

It's one of the daft little boxes with everything you need... Doesn't even say what type of hops.

Could be fun though.
http://www.nottheusual.co.uk/grow-me-be ... AuUS8P8HAQ

scuppeteer
Under the Table

Post by scuppeteer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:23 pm

edonald774 wrote:The girlfriend bought me a little "grow your own hops" box as a stocking filler.
We've said many times that we don't have the space to grow hops(or the climate in Scotland) but she's now telling me that if i get it to grow we'll make space.

It's one of the daft little boxes with everything you need... Doesn't even say what type of hops.

Could be fun though.
http://www.nottheusual.co.uk/grow-me-be ... AuUS8P8HAQ
These are just a bit of fun, it makes no difference even if you knew the variety as seeds do not grow true to the mother plant, you will also more likely end up with half male plants which are kind of pretty but useless.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

edonald774

Post by edonald774 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:03 pm

Ah well I don't have to worry too much about it then.

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:19 pm

Do you think it would be possible to grow hops in the Cairngorm National Park? Have a polytunnel but don't think the girlfriend would spare me any of it

scuppeteer
Under the Table

Post by scuppeteer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:02 pm

Uncle Albert wrote:Do you think it would be possible to grow hops in the Cairngorm National Park? Have a polytunnel but don't think the girlfriend would spare me any of it
Certainly worth a go, they were once grown commercially around Aberdeen. I would suggest Bramling X as they prefer a decent winter.
Dave Berry

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks scuppateer. Will look into it a bit more

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:15 pm

Ordered 3 rhizomes. Going to give it a whirl and see what happens. The guy said they had sold to Iceland before so fingers crossed.