Hops for 1-gallon bathces?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
lenna

Hops for 1-gallon bathces?

Post by lenna » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:05 am

Hi,
I have just started brewing my own beer and I prefer to do 1-gallon batches. My problem is that hops don't usually come in packs of less than 3 oz and I only need a tiny amount for my small batches. I would like to try different recipes so using the same hops for different beers is not usually an option. So I end up getting stcuk with hops I don't use. Anyone else having the same problem? Do you know if I can buy hops in samll quantity somwhere? Atm I am looking for Perle and Spalt to make a Franziskaner. Any help will be much appreciated.

basswulf
Piss Artist

Re: Hops for 1-gallon bathces?

Post by basswulf » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:04 pm

I think that below a certain level you just have to with it. Someone might sell you a smaller packet but you'd be paying much more by weight.

However, do consider hop pellets, which have a longer shelf life. Also look for a collection of beers with similar hops; when you start to run down one of your hops, you can then buy something different and switch to a different group. I also brew small batches and am using both these tactics.

Wulf

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Hops for 1-gallon bathces?

Post by Jocky » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:54 pm

lenna wrote:Hi,
I have just started brewing my own beer and I prefer to do 1-gallon batches. My problem is that hops don't usually come in packs of less than 3 oz and I only need a tiny amount for my small batches. I would like to try different recipes so using the same hops for different beers is not usually an option. So I end up getting stcuk with hops I don't use. Anyone else having the same problem? Do you know if I can buy hops in samll quantity somwhere? Atm I am looking for Perle and Spalt to make a Franziskaner. Any help will be much appreciated.
Having done quite a lot of small batches (1.5 gallon) I know your pain, and didn't find a complete solution, but I've found most hops will actually keep for a year after opening if kept in the right way:
- Freeze your hops as soon as you have bought them to help keep them fresh.
- Also get a bunch of plastic clips and squeeze out air from packs after use.
- Pellets keep longer, and take up less freezer space.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.