Equinox leaf or pellet hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
fisherman

Equinox leaf or pellet hops

Post by fisherman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:58 am

Hi Brewers.
Has anyone any idea when Equinox ( Experimental 366 ) hops will be available in the uk ?. I have used them for 5 min additions in the past with good results but they have not been on the scene for ages.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Equinox leaf or pellet hops

Post by seymour » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:46 pm

It seems all the US homebrew suppliers either don't list Equinox at all, or else are back-ordered. It's obviously a new, relatively small crop. I bet commercial brewery extended contracts have already bought-up all the stock, making it unlikely much will trickle-down to homebrewers.

I like Equinox hops too, but can't find them for sale. If you can get Mosaic, they're pretty similar. I bet a mix of Galena and Mosaic would be a good Equinox substitute, maybe a little Columbus too.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:05 am

As usual with the American market the ones that have the buying power (no names mentioned, Sierra Nevada) have already bought just about all of this seasons crop. The only importer in the UK told me in August they will be very difficult to get hold of if you do not have a contract and this may not be honoured either. [-X
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:17 am

fisherman wrote:Has anyone any idea when Equinox/Experimental 366 hops will be available...I have used them for 5 min additions in the past with good results...
Fisherman, what type of beer did you brew with Equinox hops? Would you mind sharing successful recipe tips?

Just to torment myself, see, since I can't source them either but I am curious.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:55 pm

Seymour, here's my commercial recipe (roughly scaled down to 5 gallon batch) it was the brewery I used to work for first APA. It proved rather popular but they haven't brewed it in a while, hoping to make some at home in the new year.

PALE - 4.7kg - 87.9%
MUNICH - 0.45kg - 8.4%
CRYSTAL (140) - 0.1kg - 1.9%
CARA - 0.1kg - 1.9%

AMARILLO (FWH) 50g
EQUINOX @ 10min - 20g
EQUINOX @ 0min - 120g

Mash Temp 67-68C
OG - 1056
FG - 1013
ABV - 5.5%
IBU - 62
EBC -17

Yeast - BRY97
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi seymour,
I wish i was better on my computer when i was at school ball point pens were not invented just my inkwell does it sound like Dickens . My brewing is mainly pale ales or sweet pale ales with low ibu dosing, I use mainly base malts Lager malts Pilsner malt with my favourite additions of Weyermanns Vienna and Munich malts of between 5% and 20%. if i use crystal malt it has to be very pale EBC 10 to 30 maximum and only a plastic water cup full for 45 litres. I find crystal very cloying. Hops bittering Magnum at 45min Hallertau Milf or Saaz at 15min. And thats it except for brews with 5 min additions with a 20 min soak then cool e.g. Citra . Simcoe. Nelson. Galaxy. ex 366. El Dorado which i have not tried yet pellets are my passion they look so fresh. 1 hour mash fly sparged for the first 30 litres keeping the liquor above the grain bed then topped up and batch sparged for the last 25 litres. my ibu is low 15 to 20 max. Happy Brewing and i wish everybody on JBK a very merry healthy CHRISTMAS.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:19 pm

brew was for 45 litres
15 lb Lager malt
3 lb munich malt
1lb vienna malt
hops
15 grams magnum at 45 min
50 grams hallertau milf at 15 mins
10 grams experimental 366 at 5 mins with a 15 min hot soak then cooled
SO4 yeast
OG 1047
Bottled and stored for 8 weeks 1 week in the brewfridge for carbonation
A great pint

seymour

Post by seymour » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:50 pm

That does sound a great pint, thanks for sharing!