Wakatu hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
CestrIan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Wakatu hops

Post by CestrIan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:39 pm

Has anyone used Wakatu. I just bought 300g off the maltmiller.

I read on a few sites they have a subtle lemon/lime flavour & aroma, but couldn't find many reviews off people who have brewed with them.
Stay Home - Make Beer - Drink Beer

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Wakatu hops

Post by LeeH » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:18 pm

They sound very Japanese!
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:26 am

used a load late and dry in a wheatbeer. actually came out pretty well, quite a refreshing pint on a hot day. that had a clear limey flavour, though i did use a lot. reckon they're pretty tasty and could equally be excellent with a more subtle/crafted approach than mine.. :)
dazzled, doused in gin..

CestrIan

Post by CestrIan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:54 am

LeeH wrote:They sound very Japanese!
They are from New Zealand, but I know what you mean. Sometimes the base valve sticks on my kettle and when I need to open it I have to give it a wakatu! :oops:
jaroporter wrote:used a load late and dry in a wheatbeer. actually came out pretty well, quite a refreshing pint on a hot day. that had a clear limey flavour, though i did use a lot. reckon they're pretty tasty and could equally be excellent with a more subtle/crafted approach than mine.. :)
How much did you use late on to get that limey flavour. That's exactly what I'm after, but I have been a bit heavy handed on the Motueka in the past and every sip has been like chewing on a lemon. I've read that wakatu are a bit more subtle than that but would be useful to know what is an acceptable amount to chuck in at flame out.

I must admit JP I do love a nice wheat beer. I can get wheat free from work, so I do go for it every now and then, but it's more of a summer quencher for me. I mainly use WLP400 Belgian Wit yeast. I don't like the banana/clovey flavours you get in a hefeweizen. I like that sharp bite you get from the yeast in a wit and I have tried lots of C hops in that sort of beer. My favourite is actually Cluster, which is an old school west coast hop, often overlooked, but for me it just strikes the right balance. Too many strong high alpha hops come out overpowering in a wheat beer. So would be interesting to try Wakatu in a Wit, but that might have to wait until the Summer.

I'm still gonna keep it light, lagerish, with lager malt and maybe a bit of carapils and a handful of milled wheat for head retention. Just not sure how big to go on the late addition!

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:20 am

in around 10L, that was 20g each 5min and FO, then 50g dryhop split between two additions. i think at first they were struggling to be hear over the yeast, so i kept chucking them in, but as that died down they've come right out well.

your cluster wit sounds tasty!
dazzled, doused in gin..

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:06 pm

Sounds like it might be a great hop to do a bitter & twisted style beer, which is on my to do list.
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

CestrIan

Post by CestrIan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:58 pm

Thanks for the info - I'll give it a go in the new year.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:35 pm

I've used it, in this beer made in September.

I've managed to con Phil out of a 5L mini cask of Crafty this week, so looking forward to trying itm when it's setled from it's journey. . . . won't get to sample the Wobbly until next August . . . apparently it's very Cherry when he tried it last month . . . but it is still fermenting :D.

BeerBloke
CBA Prizewinner 2008

Post by BeerBloke » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:54 pm

Aleman wrote:I've used it, in this beer made in September.

I've managed to con Phil out of a 5L mini cask of Crafty this week, so looking forward to trying itm when it's setled from it's journey. . . . won't get to sample the Wobbly until next August . . . apparently it's very Cherry when he tried it last month . . . but it is still fermenting :D.
So how was the Crafty Mouse Tony?
What's so unpleasant about being drunk? Ask a glass of water!

Aleman

Post by Aleman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:22 pm

How long does a mini keg take to settle out so I can drink clear beer?

Aleman

Post by Aleman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:35 pm

As it was k egged bar bright it turns out not very long at all :)

The mouse has turned out to be a really nice session bitter. It could possibly do with a slight increase in bittering (we were over volume) but the malt is well balanced by the flavour and aroma. Wibblers yeast compliments it very well.