Hops - leaf Vs pellets

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Bazz
Piss Artist

Hops - leaf Vs pellets

Post by Bazz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:54 pm

What are the pros and cons of one over the other please? I'm thinking in particular about dry hopping but a general comparison would be helpful. Thanks.

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Hops - leaf Vs pellets

Post by fego » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 am

leaf for the boiler - with or without pellets. The leaves act as a filter for the pellets which otherwise would cause a slow run off at best unless you can get a good swirl on to send most of the pellet debris to the centre.

pellets for the FV give better results but be aware of clogging up if you're syphoning.
Tea is for mugs...

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:48 pm

Thanks, was going to use leaf in a hop sock in the boiler and pellets in a hop ball in the fv, may not be the best effiency but is a lot more convenient.

pads72

Post by pads72 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:53 pm

Agree with fego, I use pellets in conjunction with whole leaf in the boil, as the pellets dissolve into a fine mush, and will clog my filter if used alone.
If using pellets in the FV, then crash cool prior to any syphoning, this will help the bits drop out. You may find the hop ball doesn't keep the dissolved pellet trub in as they dissolve.

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:42 pm

Thanks for the tips guys, one more question, do you use the same weight of pellets as you would leaf, or more or less?

Thanks.

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:09 pm

If your filter is suitable, there is no problem using lots of hop pellets in the boiler :wink:
Pellets are easier to store as they take up less space and in my opinion are (usually) in much better condition than whole hops.
Pellet hops are great for dry hopping.
I only buy leaf hops these days if I can't get pellets or if they are crazy cheap or a gift.

You usually use slightly less pellet hops for the same bitterness as utilisation in the boiler is slightly higher.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:12 pm

pellets with a hop spider & Simply great for dry hopping,

Hugh Jampton

Post by Hugh Jampton » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:42 am

Pellets are more efficient than leaf and I reckon they give a better flavour profile. I use them in a stainless 300 micron hop spider which works very well and certainly makes cleaning much easier. I only buy leaf when there's no choice.