Equinox Hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
fisherman

Equinox Hops

Post by fisherman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:21 pm

Morning ,
Has anyone seen Equinox hops for sale in 100grm or 250grm airtight bags for sale . I see Simply hops have them but only in 10kg bags rather to much for a Home brewer. At £270 for 10kg very expensive. I had Experimental 366 ( which is now Equinox ) last year and I really liked the fruitiness added late.
Thanks for any replies

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Equinox Hops

Post by oz11 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:55 pm

I have some 2012 stock. They are in a 5kg bag which has been opened but kept in a cool room. Will remove the top layer.

No charge for them other than covering postage.

Can vac pack them into freezer bag for posting.

Yours if you want them (will pack into 100g -ish packs) but at your own risk etc,,,,

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:14 pm

Many thanks oz11,
I have sent you a p.m.

tuffty22

Post by tuffty22 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi

There are some 2014 on ebay just now, just bagged myself some for an big juicy IPA im planning.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Equinox-T90-H ... _63wt_1190

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Thanks tuffty22 for your reply.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:34 pm

Cheers for the link tuffty 22 just ordered one of the last packs of Equinox hops. They certainly look great.
Cheers :D

tuffty22

Post by tuffty22 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:03 pm

No worries

Im planning on using them for dry hopping a southern hemisphere IPA as I read this is where they work best.

How are you plannig on using them ?

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:36 pm

Hi I love equinox to bits but have only use them for 15 minute additions and five-minute additions my favourite is 5 min addition with a 15 minute Hot soak Then cool they leave a very fruity taste in the beer I'm only using 20 g in 10 gallons of beer.The new Equinix hot pallets came this week from eBay sale in a clear plastic bag they look really good. I shall be brewing on Tuesday and using them for five minutes additions. I also acquired from eBay hundred grams of Eldorado pellets I must try these in the next few weeks I get my stocks up that's a nice ring to do in a short period of time I'll have to order loads of malt. Pellets certainly seem to be in much much better condition than leafhops .happy brewing. Long live the pellet.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:47 pm

My brew will use Magnum at 45min. Hallertau milf at 30 and 15min and Equinox at 5mins with a 5 min soak and cool. As you can see English hops generally are not in my favourites. I will use base malt only Lager malt ,Munich & Vienna. No crystal or adjuncts. A very pale beer Happy Brewing.

tuffty22

Post by tuffty22 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:45 pm

Sounds good.

I'm planning on a really fruity ipa.

Thinking about a galaxy/nelson mix with the equinox dry hop.

Not sure it this would be tropical fruit overkill though!

legion
Hollow Legs

Post by legion » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:58 pm

fisherman wrote:I'm only using 20 g in 10 gallons of beer.

Blimey! That's less than half a gram per litre! I normally use 3g litre for most brew additions...
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:47 pm

I know 20grms is not a lot but it is just a touch of fruity flavour. If I used loads it would overpower the Hallertau milf or saaz 15 min hop taste and cancel the mild taste. I love Nelson and have done an all nelson pale ale very nice if you have a long time for the hops to mellow. I am considering using Carapils in my pales what do you think you would add as a mouthfeel and body malt to add?. Only low A/A hops but just using base malt the hops shine through. Happy Brewing

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:29 pm

fisherman wrote:I know 20grms is not a lot but it is just a touch of fruity flavour. If I used loads it would overpower the Hallertau milf or saaz 15 min hop taste and cancel the mild taste. I love Nelson and have done an all nelson pale ale very nice if you have a long time for the hops to mellow. I am considering using Carapils in my pales what do you think you would add as a mouthfeel and body malt to add?. Only low A/A hops but just using base malt the hops shine through. Happy Brewing
Munich is always great for adding body to a beer, but you can also do that by mashing a little higher and also not letting the FG drop too low.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC