Mash hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Mash hops

Post by Fuggled Mind » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:30 pm

I'm trying something new today

Got a brew on this morning for an American amber ale. Very simple recipe that I adapted to all-grain from an extract recipe that I used to brew with good results. The only difference to the recipe this time is that I've decided to give a mash-hopping a go. Didn't want to go too mad so I threw in some New Zealand cascade hops. Just 20g. There seems to be quite a debate as to whether it works or not. Some people say they can't detect anything, others saying it enhances aroma. As the mash is still on, I honestly can't say - at this stage, all I know is that the mash smells very herbal and doesn't quite have that full-of-malty-goodness type aroma.

Has anyone else tried mash-hopping and if so, what did you think of it?

Cheers

Jason
Here's the recipe by the way

Hellzapoppin American Amber Ale
19L
1.31Kg Marris Otter
1.31Kg Pale Ale (weyermann)
1.31Kg Premium Pilsner (Weyermann)
330g Caramunch I
170g Carabohemian
170g Caraaroma
60g Oats (just wanted to use them up really)
20g Cascade (New Zealand) leaf hops (7.8%AA) (added to mash)
12g Simcoe pellets (12.2%AA) 90 mins
12g Amarillo pellets (8.9%AA) 20 mins
20g Cascade pellets (7.1%AA) Post boil added @80°C and steeped for 30 mins
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Re: Mash hops

Post by Dave S » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:44 pm

I wonder what if any effect the acid content of the hops would have on the mah pH. Did you take any readings?
Best wishes

Dave

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:52 pm

Good point. Initial Ph test came out at 4.9 but I've never trusted the strips to be honest. Added a tiny bit of chalk (half a teaspoon), stirred it in and put the lid on the mashtun. Should the acids raise or lower the mash or does it depend on the water?

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:42 pm

Acid will lower the alkalinity of the mash liquor which will lower its buffering effect and the pH will lower. But I don't know whether the acids present in the hops would have any noticeable influence on things. As long as your pH is in the range of 5.2 - 5.6 you should be OK. 4.9 is definitely too low.

I'm also thinking would the aroma gained by hopping the mash not be diminished by the subsequent boil?
Best wishes

Dave

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Regarding the acids, I've never read about anything about it having a negative effect on the mash but it sounds more than plausible.
Apparently, like first wort hopping, the essential oils somehow survive and 'allegedly' contribute to a more balanced aroma. How true it is remains to be seen.

There's quite a bit of stuff on it on the internet. My info came from BYO magazine
http://byo.com/hops/item/1122-mash-hopping-techniques

Cheers

Jason
W. C. Fields