Dang nab it! Hop map in bin.

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Dang nab it! Hop map in bin.

Post by simple one » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:47 pm

I have some newly planted hops in the garden.

Is there identifying traits between northdown, EKG, progress, pioneer, target and northern brewer? Wife has thrown my hop map of the garden away.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Dang nab it! Hop map in bin.

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:52 am

welcome to the land of the unknown hops, no really.....there are many of us that have had the same/similar thing happen.

Eg using the wrong pen, which the sun bleached, foxes pulling up the sticks with the name on it. Etc.

But what I did see in an orchard was the labels made in aluimimum, which got me thinking, where can I get these type of labels, then it dawned upon me :idea: so I got a coke can, cut the top and bottom off, cut it down the side and then got a 3inch screw, those sharp type ones, as I did not have an engraver and inscribed the name. Then put around the post and folded the ends over. The inside is now outside

So now you know what to do, all you have to do is find out which is which. But it will not be easy

So what I did On the 3rd yr, there were enough hops on each plant, I brewed small batches of each and then compare the taste/flavour to that I could find on the net. But I don't think you will really know till you get hops.
You could use a known bittering hop in a brew and dry hop small amounts in DJ'S, and have your mates taste test them.

But what ever you do......good luck.
To Busy To Add,

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Re: Dang nab it! Hop map in bin.

Post by simple one » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:25 pm

Yes the SMASH technique is the last resort I think.