Hops smelling real bad

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Fastline
Hollow Legs

Hops smelling real bad

Post by Fastline » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:37 pm

I bought a selection of hops from eBay, there in various vacuum sealed bags, but something smells real bad, best way to describe the smell is that it is like dog poo.
Anyone ever heard of this I'm inclined to throw the lot out, it is taunting glasses stored in same cupboard
I'm new to brewing but I just can't imagine that this is right

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Hops smelling real bad

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:04 am

There are many questions to ask, but to get the right answer,
You need to say what type they are pellets/hops/leaf, how they are packed ie clear or Mylar bags where they been stored, ie, in the oven/ freezer. And even who you got them off, you never know someone else just may have brought some and used them. With good or not so good results.

But saying this, some do pong more than others. Try rubbing some of them between your digits see how they smell then.

But remember there are some of us that grabbed 5kg of 2012 hops at great prices, vac'd them down to suitable sizes and are making good beer.

But please tell what they are, cos, citra hops , brew with them and you can get a woohoo or what the fecking piss is this. Depending on the person drinking and the amount used.
To Busy To Add,

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:44 pm

Fastline wrote:I bought a selection of hops from eBay, there in various vacuum sealed bags, but something smells real bad, best way to describe the smell is that it is like dog poo.
Anyone ever heard of this I'm inclined to throw the lot out, it is taunting glasses stored in same cupboard
I'm new to brewing but I just can't imagine that this is right
I've never heard bad hop smell described as dog poo, the usual descriptor is cheesy.
I wouldn't use any hops that smell like that.
A good reason to not buy (cheap?) hops off of eBay, or Craigslist. Buy from a local shop that will replace bad product.
I'm just here for the beer.

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:51 pm

This is what I got:
USA
Citra (T90) 14.4%
Centennial (T90) 11.9%
Cascade (T90) 7.6%
Columbus (Leaf) 17.3%

Germany
Magnum (Leaf) 17.31%
Nugget (T90) 10.2%
Herkules (Leaf) 17.3%

UK
WGV (Leaf) 6.94%

All the leaf ones seem to be in clear bags, the pellets in a gold backing clear fronted heat sealed bags

I'm storing them in a kitchen cupboard, when you open the kitchen cupboard door bang the smell hits ya, smells foul, the misses is going to get the hump soon i can tell

I got them off ebay seller at.home.craft item number 221666853461

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:01 am

Not everyone can entertain the proper smell of hops, especially if you're not used to them. They're being stored in a warm environment which accentuates the aromas but won't prolong their life. Store in a freezer and you wont have a problem.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:16 pm

Yeh, I quite agree, I put my dirty stocks in the washing bin with the lid on, I don't leave them around the bedroom.

but on a more serious note, the freezer is the place for hops, opened or unopened, it slows everything down.

Like I said before, some peeps like the smell, some hate it, just think of marmite, I can smell it in the cupboard in the jar with lid on, take the lid off, I leave the room, put it on toast, I'm in the bathroom.
In the book for the love of hops, it says a woman's taste/smell is more sensative, so a brew with citra a man likes it, a woman says cats piss.etc

I hope this helps.

Edit: I have all those hops you have, but not from the place you got them. I have made great brews with them. Don't chuck'um
Find some local homebrewer and get there opinion, that's if your still unsure. Weight for weight hops are the most exspensive thing in a brew.
To Busy To Add,

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Fastline wrote: All the leaf ones seem to be in clear bags, the pellets in a gold backing clear fronted heat sealed bags
I'm storing them in a kitchen cupboard, when you open the kitchen cupboard door bang the smell hits ya, smells foul, the misses is going to get the hump soon i can tell
I got them off ebay seller at.home.craft item number 221666853461
Is it possible that what you're smelling is the bags? If they're sealed you shouldn't be smelling the hops.
I'm just here for the beer.