Dry hop time - Polaris smells cheesy. Help with alternative

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
jack_c

Dry hop time - Polaris smells cheesy. Help with alternative

Post by jack_c » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:47 pm

I brewed a pale ale last wed, OG 1.058, been at 1.009 for 2 days and am about to dry hop. It was intended to be a single hop Polaris ale. When I divided the hops for bittering during brewing they smelt spicy and pungent. No cheese. Pulled out the remainder and there's a definite sweaty cheese stench with an underlying tang, and a faint nose of the original spicy pungent aroma of a week ago.

Didn't realise they could go bad so quickly! Bag was airtight but not in the freezer... 2012 crop.
Just looking for confirmation I should bin them, rather than risk a cheesy brew?

I have plenty of other hops to use -SWMBO has been comparing bags and confirm the Polaris now reeks of feet, and is nothing like the other bags of hops smell wise.

I have 20g of Citra, 30g of Simcoe, 30g of Chinook, 100g of Summit and 100g of Columbus. (and 92 odd grams of Sorachi Ace aka Dill weed we won't be using).

Please suggest a nice mix!

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Dry hop time - Polaris smells cheesy. Help with alternat

Post by Wonkydonkey » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:19 pm

I wouldn't really know, other than if you citra, it's not worth using anything else as its so strong and would over power it, or use it sparingly

As for your cheesy hops, if they were in the freezer and you took them out and opened them and took out what you needed, if the bag was open for long enough, as they are very cold water ( moisture) is attracted to them. Then if those hops were then put in the cupboard then they could be damp and all that.
But then you may not have done this.
To Busy To Add,

jack_c

Post by jack_c » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:28 pm

Not frozen at all. None of the hops are, all stored in airtight bags in a cool cupboard, although are now in the freezer! A little gutted tbh, was looking forward to the single hop Polaris brew...

I need around 75g to dry hop with if that helps with suggestions.

Considering using all the Chinook, Simcoe and topping off with Summit but open to suggestions.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:18 pm

You quite often get a cheesy smell from residue on the packet. Rub a small amount in your hands, no cheese then fine to use. A cheesy smell is common with old hops if not properly stored. You are unlikely to get cheesy beer however.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

legion
Hollow Legs

Post by legion » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:29 am

You could skip the dry hop and then it would remain a single hop brew.
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

jack_c

Post by jack_c » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:51 am

I tried rubbing different hops and smelling my fingers - the Polaris is bad, the others good. Definite chive/onion aroma from the Columbus.

I wanted to dry hop as I like it hop heavy :)

Anyhow, I went with a pot luck mix of 30g Citra, 25g Columbus, 15g Simcoe and 5g Chinook. Had different amounts left than I initially thought and some hop chaff in the bags I didn't use - just took nice looking cones and am hoping for something palatable :)

Looking like 6.43% abv and 84% attenuation with us-05. Looking forward to this one - a Polaris, Citra, Columbus, Simcoe and Chinook pale ale!