Nelson Sauvin - judicious application?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
jack_c

Nelson Sauvin - judicious application?

Post by jack_c » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:50 pm

a hop that requires judicious application in the brew house, this truly unique dual-purpose variety can be used to produce big punchy Ales as well as subtle yet bitter Lagers. The fruitiness may be a little overpowering...
I want to brew a Pale Ale with Nelson Sauvin, although the description makes me wonder if I should combine it with something...

Happy for a big, punchy fruity ale. Anyone brewed a single hop Nelson? Was your application judicious?

Any suggestions for a hop to pair it with?

daf

Re: Nelson Sauvin - judicious application?

Post by daf » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:51 pm

I did the single hop Nelson recipe from Greg Hughes's book last summer, very tasty, and different.

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:00 pm

I made this: 'sauvin32' its in the fermentor now at 18C
west coast ale yeast
23 litres
Pale 5350
Munich 280g

NS pellets* 12 ibu 60 mins 30g
15 mins 20g
5 mins 20g
0 mins 30g left for 15 mins to soak

* I bought a buffalo boiler and fitted a fine hop filter and new tap specifically for doing pellets...what a palava....the bugger kept cutting out as it reached the boil. Consequently this recipe will have little realation to what it ends up as!
I have made Thornbridge kipling clone previously. I get bored of the taste of the sauvin quite quickly, you need to have some other stock as a balance, something copper coloured and traditional would be a good contrast. Going to bottle this sometime this week, so it'll be four weeks before I know what its like.

jack_c

Post by jack_c » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 pm

I've a spare thermal cutout replacement for a buffalo (140c instead of 100c) if you want it for free. A touch fiddly to fit but should sort your problem. They only sold them in sets of 2. PM me your address if interested...

I've a punchy ale conditioning now (it got carried away and is 6.4%, rather than 5.4%) hopped with a variety of things so I reckon all good for an all nelson brew...