American hop rhizomes

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
fatcontro11er
Piss Artist

American hop rhizomes

Post by fatcontro11er » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:02 am

Does anyone grow American hops at home?
I see willingham nursery have a list of them but all out of stock!

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: American hop rhizomes

Post by seymour » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:34 pm

Which varieties are you looking for?

fatcontro11er
Piss Artist

Post by fatcontro11er » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:45 pm

Sorachi ace, chinook,centennial and Zeus
In particular!

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:06 pm

Keep in mind that growing American hops in England will effect the flavor and aroma compared to the same ones grown in the states. How much is hard to say.
I have goldings growing in my backyard and while similar to EKG they are somewhat different: still good, but different.
I'm just here for the beer.

fatcontro11er
Piss Artist

Post by fatcontro11er » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:14 pm

Aye, I have been growing cascade for a number of years both outside and in a polytunnel and found in particular the outside grown ones don't fair as well but it's more in yield than flavour really with that variety!

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:30 am

I cannot imagine Cascade or any of the "C" hops producing well in the UK.

fatcontro11er
Piss Artist

Post by fatcontro11er » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:35 am

They certainly do in the tunnel I filled two 90 litre bins from a harvest of one plant!!!!!

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:48 am

The temperature inside of the tunnel must be warmer than the temperature outside. Cascade does wake up until the average daytime temperature has reached a point where British cultivars start to experience heat stress.

fatcontro11er
Piss Artist

Post by fatcontro11er » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:13 am

I'm based in Northern Ireland but a couple of years ago I have a rhizome to my uncle in Manchester, last year he's cascade hops were like small bananas and so plentiful that when I visited in November he'd left half the harvest on the bines!
He must have picked the perfect spot for them to grow!?

bevan100
Tippler

Post by bevan100 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:12 pm

I have got a cascade outside in its second year it produced 350 gm dried which means it has
already paid for itself and its 3-3 inches out of the groundthis year

Hugh Jampton

Post by Hugh Jampton » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:36 pm

I grew Nugget for the first time last year and it did very well. I got about 300 grams dried which is pretty good for a first year plant. I'm hoping to get more this year. Next year I might add a chinook plant. I don't like cascade so I won't be growing it

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Eadweard » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:36 pm

Be very careful with this:

http://www.britishhops.org.uk/wp-conten ... 012-13.pdf

Thinking of getting hop plants from the USA?

Hop enthusiasts and gardeners may be unaware of the very serious threat to the UK hop industry posed by importing hop roots from the USA where Hop Stunt Viroid is known to have infected planting materials. Hop Stunt can kill hop plants and has potential to end our industry. Wye Hops is in the process of obtaining certified clean stocks of public US varieties direct from the USDA, and making these available from ministry-inspected propagators in the UK. Why put the UK hop industry at risk? - buy certified British-produced hop plants.

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:45 am

There are other viruses that affect hops such as the hop latent virus, American hop latent virus, hop mosaic virus, apple mosaic virus, arabis mosaic nepovirus, and the prunus necrotic ringspot virus. A large percentage of the hop rootstock throughout the world is infected with one or more of these viruses. To the best of my knowledge, New Zealand is the only hop disease-free hop growing area in the world.

With that said, I planted my current hop yard using plants from a propagator that is member of the National Clean Plant Network, which is run by the USDA. They have taken most of their cultivars through the meristem tip culture process, which is a means by which to harvest virus-free plant tissue for propagation. The difference in performance between my current hop yard and the hop yards that I planted using industry rootstock (rhizomes) is like the difference between night and day.