How to pronounce Willamette

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
YeastWhisperer

Re: How to pronounce Willamette

Post by YeastWhisperer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Now, that is a mouthful. I bet that Motueka is a native New Zealand word just Willamette is a native American word.

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:22 pm

themadhippy wrote:on the subject of correct pronunciation shall we start with aluminium :mrgreen:
=D> And you can't sodder aluminum:

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:26 am

Not every American pronounces "solder," "sodder" just as not every Briton clips the letter "t" out of words or shifts the consonant pair "th" towards an "f" sound, as in "eighf" instead of "eighth." Yes, you know that some of you do it, and please do not get me started on the improper use of the personal pronoun "me" in place of the possessive pronoun "my." Not even the most backward mountain person from Appalachia says, "me mates" or "me friends."

On the topic of aluminum, well, I researched the etymology of word. What I found is definitely going to upset those who think that Americans renamed the element. Humphry Davy first named the element "alumium," which, to my astonishment, is how my parents pronounced the word. He then renamed the element to "aluminum." The British establishment had a problem with Davy not using the "ium" suffix, so it was renamed to "aluminium." There you have it, one element, three names. I wonder why the British scientific establishment did not rename the element platinum? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Etymology

chris.laws.54943

Post by chris.laws.54943 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:30 am

I love a good old bit of etymology, me!!! (And that's a good one) [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:32 pm

Goulders wrote:
Haydnexport wrote:and 'nappy's' :=P
Or "nappies" rather than nappy is :-p
I'm welsh mate, so for a second language im doing pretty well

legion
Hollow Legs

Post by legion » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:41 pm

boingy wrote: I misread the spelling the first time I saw it and so have been thinking of it as William-ette, as in the boy's name, ever since
I pronounce it the same
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:28 pm

themadhippy wrote:on the subject of correct pronunciation shall we start with aluminium :mrgreen:
+1 =D> =D>
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Hugh Jampton

Post by Hugh Jampton » Wed May 27, 2015 12:24 am

It's Willamette - damn it!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed May 27, 2015 7:18 am

YeastWhisperer wrote: Yes, you know that some of you do it, and please do not get me started on the improper use of the personal pronoun "me" in place of the possessive pronoun "my." Not even the most backward mountain person from Appalachia says, "me mates" or "me friends."

:lol: Touché, oh bugger now I've introduced the French influence.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Wed May 27, 2015 10:48 am

They can be eedurr or aadurr but iidurr will do. When having tea with your gran do you have a scon or a scone :D
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

andy.cleveland

How to pronounce Willamette

Post by andy.cleveland » Wed May 27, 2015 11:03 am

I'd like to get "me" two cents in I believe my used to be pronounced me, Shakespeare rhymes better that way and is me own opinion!

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed May 27, 2015 2:18 pm

andy.cleveland wrote:I'd like to get "me" two cents in I believe my used to be pronounced me, Shakespeare rhymes better that way and is me own opinion!
Comes from the Norman (French) influence when they ruled England. i is pronounced "ee" and y is "ee" grec that means a Greek "ee"
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Hugh Jampton

Post by Hugh Jampton » Thu May 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Most of the Norman army was raised in Britany from people who originated in England and went to Britany to get away from the Saxons.

There are lots of other uses of 'ee'. Me mate from Yorkshire for instance, often uses it to start a sentence, as in 'eeeeeeeeee look at the norks on that'. I don't think there's anything Greek about that, or french.

Anyway, how do you pronounce Wai-iti. I want to buy some and I'm too embarrased to ask in the shop in case I pronounce it wrong and look stupid. I always end up buying a big bag of fuggles.