Next up, Golding or Goldings

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
YeastWhisperer

Next up, Golding or Goldings

Post by YeastWhisperer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:23 pm

Is it "Golding" or "Goldings?" I have always said "Goldings" because I know that the name refers to a family of cultivars. However, I never say Fuggles.
Last edited by YeastWhisperer on Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Next up, Golding or Goldings

Post by Eadweard » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:51 pm

Both are in common use! It was Mr Golding's hop originally so perhaps "Golding's", though that would confuse things even further.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:58 pm

:-k one golding, two goldings..
dazzled, doused in gin..

Eadweard

Post by Eadweard » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:15 pm

I've just looked at Parkers 'The Hop Industy'' (1934) and he uses all three!

"The principal varieties which were grown, at least in Kent and Sussex by the mid-century, were five - the Goldings, Canterbury, Grapes, Jone's and Colegate's. The Golding is undoubtedly the finest... Canterbury hops resemble Golding's but are 'not so thick or so strong a hop when dried, but equally fine if not more so in flavour'..."

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:09 am

That's interesting because U.S. Golding is actually Canterbury Golding, which would make it Canterbury? Chinook was bred from a cultivar known as Petham Golding. However, I have never encountered that cultivar name outside of a USDA publication. I do not know if the cultivar was ever grown in the U.S., but Late Grape is part of Newport's lineage.
Last edited by YeastWhisperer on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eadweard

Post by Eadweard » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:23 am

It's hard to get your head round what's going on with the various Golding clones. I've put a lot of stuff on my blog about it, e.g. : http://edsbeer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/g ... dings.html

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:09 am

Late Grape?

I've got a couple of White grape bines in my garden, only first year so hopefully will get some sort of harvest this year.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC