What is your favorite British hop variety?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
YeastWhisperer

What is your favorite British hop variety?

Post by YeastWhisperer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:23 am

My favorite British hop variety is Fuggle by a large margin. I use Goldings, Challenger, Northern Brewer, and Northdown as well, but there is something about Fuggle that makes a bitter scream, "I'm British."

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: What is your favorite British hop variety?

Post by 6470zzy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:28 am

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=66252

this one is already in progress
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:02 pm

for a smash i think challenger make a superb crisp summer ale, fuggles come in a close 2nd

when it comes to more complex hop bills the way they interact and compliment eachother makes it difficult to judge ( for me with my un-educated palette ) just whats adding what tho..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:15 pm

East Kent Goldings. I know what you mean about Fuggles though.

I've brewed once with jester (and tasted a commercial bottle) and I'd love to get behind it, but it confuses my taste buds, really.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:35 pm

Coming from the Sussex/Kent border, it's pretty much all about the Fuggles and Goldings :) Just the smell of either transports me in mind to some small, country pub with dried bines and ye olde farming tools on the walls, on a summers evening supping ale in the sunshine :)

I've only used Challenger for bittering - should add it the the SMASH list and see what gems lay within...
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:29 pm

I love a lot of different English hop varieties. If I had to pick a favourite for pale ales it would be either challenger/First Gold for Dark beers North Down. I have quite a thing at the moment for Endeavour it fab in dark and pale beers this hop is going to be a FERM FAVOURITE with craft brewers and micro brewers alike. The other hop I want to get my hands on is jester man that sounds like a tasty hop.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:05 am

If you want Jester BG, get yourself to M&S they have a single hop IPA produced by Adnams, it is fantastic! :)
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:22 am

Will do matey. Getting the hop itself is rarer than rocking horse turd. You see it you turn your back and it's gone like fooking Houdini. :shock: :shock:. I tried a bottle of the badger poachers choice now that is cracking pint, it's more suited for the colder months but never the less a cracking pint. I was told badgers choice is one of the hardest beers to clone.

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:36 am

Okay, I will bite. What is Jester's parentage? One of my brew dogs' name is Jester.

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:47 am

I haven't got a clue I can't find it online either so Charles faram must be keeping that part for now hush hush, I think it's another mix up with English and American at guess from its aroma profile. Its causing a big stir in the brewing world everyone wants in on the jester hop orgy.

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:12 am

Challenger, Goldings & Fuggles. Can't go wrong with them.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

Hugh Jampton

Post by Hugh Jampton » Wed May 27, 2015 12:47 am

MTW wrote: I've brewed once with jester (and tasted a commercial bottle) and I'd love to get behind it, but it confuses my taste buds, really.
I've got 300g of Jester and I know what you mean. I made a bitter using Northern Brewer for bittering and Jester for flavour. It's good but I don't think it would mix well with other aroma hops. I tried a commercial beer that used Jester and Bramling Cross and it was awful. The next batch I'll bitter with Challenger.

I don't really a have a favorite hop but if I did it would have to be Challenger. I do have a favorite hop combination however and that's Progress and WGV.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:14 am

YeastWhisperer wrote:My favorite British hop variety is Fuggle by a large margin. I use Goldings, Challenger, Northern Brewer, and Northdown as well, but there is something about Fuggle that makes a bitter scream, "I'm British."
Have you used Progress? I like to think of it as a "super-Fuggles." Also, if you can't get true fresh UK Fuggles, then Keyworth Midseason is indistinguishable, just as dreamy. Cheers!