WAI-ITI HOPS

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
raiderman

WAI-ITI HOPS

Post by raiderman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:07 pm

I've searched and nothing shows for this one. I've got 250g and they sound fun in a light summer ale. Anyone know anything about them and any suggestions for something to add some bitterness? Cheers

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: WAI-ITI HOPS

Post by 6470zzy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:19 pm

raiderman wrote:I've searched and nothing shows for this one. I've got 250g and they sound fun in a light summer ale. Anyone know anything about them and any suggestions for something to add some bitterness? Cheers
Purely working from the description for the hop I would say that you will want a good clean bittering hop such as Warrior, just not too much as you are going for a summer ale.

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:25 pm

That's what I did. Maris otter plus 10% Munich. Magnum for bittering followed by a big charge (100g) of Wai iti at flame out. Very nice hop.

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:36 pm

I've used them quite a few times. I love 'em.
I would bitter with a small percentage of Magnum and then stick a shit load in late. Hold some back for dry hopping. Generally I use 100g in a 23 litre brew.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:39 pm

I have an ounce of these coming in an order I made over the weekend. I already have some Wakatu that I may use them with.
I'm just here for the beer.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:29 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'm working from home tomorrow so I'm brewing too. I can find something clear in the freezer to bitter then I think 150g late. Another 50 when cooled to 80ish ought to put them through their paces. Cheers

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Thu May 28, 2015 9:32 pm

I'm impressed with this one. No fireworks but a really nice flavour and aroma. 2 weeks after legging and it's got a nice big aroma. In a golden ale 350g carapils and 350g malted oats which gives a slight caramel lay backdrop it's come out very nicely perhaps more towards lime than grapefruit I'll certainly use it again. It would be very good in a blonde ale. I hate to say it but Seymours preference for porridge oats is probably spot on with this one.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu May 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Now, why would you hate to say that? Have I ever steered you wrong? :)

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu May 28, 2015 10:13 pm

6470zzy wrote: Purely working from the description for the hop I would say that you will want a good clean bittering hop such as Warrior,
Cheers
I plan to brew a wheatwine early next year using Warrior, Wai-iti, and Wakatu.

Hugh Jampton

Post by Hugh Jampton » Thu May 28, 2015 10:38 pm

Rookie wrote:
6470zzy wrote: Purely working from the description for the hop I would say that you will want a good clean bittering hop such as Warrior,
Cheers
Now that's what I call planning ahead. I often can't make up my mind what to brew until the day before.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Fri May 29, 2015 10:46 am

A wheat wine? Basically an all/mostly wheat version of a barley wine? How does that work?

I have a load of wheat to use up, and this sounds like an appealing way to use it

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri May 29, 2015 10:26 pm

Hugh Jampton wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Cheers
Now that's what I call planning ahead. I often can't make up my mind what to brew until the day before.
I keep a list of the next ten beers I want to brew (not necessarily in order) and each brew session I pick one off the list. The wheatwine being a big O G will be done during winter: early next year or maybe late this year.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri May 29, 2015 10:38 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:A wheat wine? Basically an all/mostly wheat version of a barley wine? How does that work?

I have a load of wheat to use up, and this sounds like an appealing way to use it
Three W Wheatwine
three gallons, O G mid 80s (Maybe 1.100)0, IBUs mid 80s
5 pounds pale ale malt
5 pounds white wheat malt
12 ounces flaked red wheat
8 ounces crystal wheat
1/2 ounce Wakatu @ 7% plus
1/2 ounce Wai-iti @ 3.4% to first wort hop
7/8 ounce Warrior @ 16.7% for 45 minutes
pinch irish moss plus
1/4 teaspoon nutrient for 15 minutes
1 ounce Wakatu for 10 minutes
8 ounces demerara sugar added at flame out. (Maybe 1 pound wheat DME also.)
1/2 ounce Wakatu plus
1/2 ounce Wai-iti to steep (and dry hop?)
11 grams S-05 (13 grams) or
1 3/4 liter WLP001 (2 1/2 liter) or WLP007 or Wyeast 1764 or whatever you prefer
3 ounces corn sugar to prime
Mash at 150f for 45 minutes