Mosaic sweet?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
jack_c

Mosaic sweet?

Post by jack_c » Wed May 06, 2015 10:40 pm

Made a 25l, 70ibu mosaic pale ale @ 7% abv. This time I performed a whirlpool for 25 mins with 40g and dry hopped with 50g (not counting towards the ibu calc)

Just bottled - tastes like fruit punch! It was so sweet I thought my previous a gravity readings must have been wrong but still stable at 1.010. Zero bitter flavour, just sweet fruit punch

Anyone else experience such sweetness with Mosaic, or did the Whirlpool just work magic?

Very excited about this one.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Mosaic sweet?

Post by Jocky » Thu May 07, 2015 10:13 am

Give it a couple of weeks. As the up front hop flavour fades you should get more of the bitterness come through.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu May 07, 2015 2:59 pm

It's a "fruity" hop but nothing in it to make your beer sweet, what did you mash in at?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

jack_c

Post by jack_c » Thu May 07, 2015 3:24 pm

I aimed to mash at 67c for 90 mins (100% Maris Otter), water was 69c before dough in, 67.5 after, slowly dropping to 65.5 at the end of the 90 mins.. Marjority of the time the mash was at 66/67c.

OG 1.064, FG 1.01...

Tasted link tropical fruit punch!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu May 07, 2015 5:24 pm

jack_c wrote:I aimed to mash at 67c for 90 mins (100% Maris Otter), water was 69c before dough in, 67.5 after, slowly dropping to 65.5 at the end of the 90 mins.. Marjority of the time the mash was at 66/67c.

OG 1.064, FG 1.01...

Tasted link tropical fruit punch!
Well that is a little high, there is a view that saccharification happens quite quickly so you have favoured Alpha Amylase which will make a less fermentable wort. Your FG stopped short above but didn't you say it was 1.010? If so that is an apparent attenuation of 83.5% which is pretty high and suggesting something drier, ABV of 7.1 as well. This is all rather odd, it is possible that you have somehow got residual sugar from priming that has not fermented and that is where the sweetness is coming from.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

jack_c

Post by jack_c » Thu May 07, 2015 5:45 pm

The FG was 1.010, and I tasted before adding the priming sugar (dextrose and boiling water), so I am kinda foxed myself as to why it's so sweet. Will need to see how it turns out after a few weeks in bottles.

ABV of 7.1 - Gosh.