Kazbek

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
marcarm

Kazbek

Post by marcarm » Thu May 07, 2015 9:22 pm

I've recently purchased 100g of Kazbek (5.6%AA) and on doing a bit of reading about them have learnt that they are best used as aroma hops with something else used for bittering.

I'm hoping to make a nice refreshing summer ale, maybe just using single malt (MO), but not sure what to pair it with.

I have got Challenger, Fuggles, Crystal, Goldings in the stocks at the moment, but could get my hands on something else to use if these are not suitable.

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Kazbek

Post by 6470zzy » Thu May 07, 2015 9:45 pm

Why not pair it with some Warrior, it is very clean and thus will let your Kazbek take a front seat for aroma etc.

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Fri May 08, 2015 7:48 am

i found it a lovely aroma hop, but a bit weak so you need to use a lot of it, which is probably why the suggestion to use something else to bitter came up. makes the suggestion of warrior a good one, as any other clean bittering hop. though i did think that kazbek would be a great hop to blend to compliment something else, possibly like goldings or challenger..
dazzled, doused in gin..

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri May 08, 2015 11:27 am

Challenger would be good from those. Very good for bittering and would complement the fruity and spicy flavour and aroma from the kazbeck if you wanted to blend them later

or a really clean one as mentioned

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by charliemartin » Sat May 09, 2015 10:05 pm

marcarm wrote:I've recently purchased 100g of Kazbek (5.6%AA) and on doing a bit of reading about them have learnt that they are best used as aroma hops with something else used for bittering.

I'm hoping to make a nice refreshing summer ale, maybe just using single malt (MO), but not sure what to pair it with.

I have got Challenger, Fuggles, Crystal, Goldings in the stocks at the moment, but could get my hands on something else to use if these are not suitable.
I did a smash brew with them last year. Took a while to come good, but it was quite tasty after a few months in the bottle. Probably be good with some challenger for bittering.

Cheers,
Charliemartin
Altonrea Homebrew