Citra and......

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
raiderman

Citra and......

Post by raiderman » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:02 pm

Can't make my mind up what to cut the Citra with. I'm going for a summer ale. Best bitter strength. Mainly Belgian pale malt a tad wheat, carapils and despite not really buying into non malted adjuncts after the malted oats were just too rich for my last brew im going down the porridge oats route.
For hops It's either chinnok or challenger with very late Citra. Anyone tried either combination? Cheers

Wezzel

Citra and......

Post by Wezzel » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:55 pm

Amarillo. I've just had a pint of Sadler's Hop Bomb and it was stunning!

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Citra and......

Post by MTW » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:26 pm

No, but I think you're right to bitter with something other than citra. I find single hop citra a bit 'hard' somehow.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:29 am

Not on their own, but with Cascade and Centennial additions. You won't go far wrong with Chinook for bittering and also flavour, then Citra late.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:37 am

Cheer. Chinook it is. Citra on its own is fine if there's a little body and residual sweetness to stop it tasting astringent. The problem then is you end up with breakfast beer. Actually that isn't a problem it's more a lifesyle choice! I'm after something a little more grown up this time and this should do it. Thanks again