Dry crumbly hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
soupdragon
Under the Table

Dry crumbly hops

Post by soupdragon » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:59 am

Hi All

I think I know the answer already but I'll ask anyway......

I've got a boil going as I type, an Amarillo pale ale. I got the hops from a member a few years ago, they were nicely vac packed ( clear bags ) but I've only stored them in a cool dark place. When I weighed then out for my first addition they seemed very dry and crumbled easily, they did however, smell ok.
I'm thinking that they're not too old to use but am worried that with them feeling so dry they've more than likely lost a lot of the oils and most of the flavour that I'm hoping to extract?

Serves me right for buying too many hops a couple of years ago :cry:

Cheers Tom

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Re: Dry crumbly hops

Post by Dave S » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:56 am

soupdragon wrote:Hi All

I think I know the answer already but I'll ask anyway......

I've got a boil going as I type, an Amarillo pale ale. I got the hops from a member a few years ago, they were nicely vac packed ( clear bags ) but I've only stored them in a cool dark place. When I weighed then out for my first addition they seemed very dry and crumbled easily, they did however, smell ok.
I'm thinking that they're not too old to use but am worried that with them feeling so dry they've more than likely lost a lot of the oils and most of the flavour that I'm hoping to extract?

Serves me right for buying too many hops a couple of years ago :cry:

Cheers Tom
Hi Tom

Yes, I made that mistake - got about 20 varieties, some of which are 2+ years old. They are though in the freezer, so will hopefully be OK. As regards your Amarillos, I'd just use 'em, maybe upping the quantities a bit if you've got enough. You can be sure they won't be stronger in AAs than stated and will more than likely be lower.
Best wishes

Dave

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi Dave

It's more the flavour I'm concerned about, although I could always dry hop if needed :-)
Need to do some big hop beers to get my stocks down. Most of the stuff I've got left are in the silver packs so exposure to the air isn't such an issue but I do have quite a few in the plain vac bags. It was a very good idea at the time though :roll:

Cheers Tom

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:37 pm

soupdragon wrote:Hi Dave

It's more the flavour I'm concerned about, although I could always dry hop if needed :-)
Need to do some big hop beers to get my stocks down. Most of the stuff I've got left are in the silver packs so exposure to the air isn't such an issue but I do have quite a few in the plain vac bags. It was a very good idea at the time though :roll:

Cheers Tom
It must be my parsimonious steak, I can't bear to waste them. Just put more in.
Best wishes

Dave

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:08 pm

I used some fresh Amarillo from the Malt Miller recently. They were a little drier than I expected too. At 8%AA I guess they're not going to feel sticky like the 17% Magnum I put in for bittering.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:50 pm

I ended up chucking 75 grams in at flame out so fingers crossed it might give it a bit of a lift :-)

Cheers Tom