Huell/Hull Melon Hop

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Fingar

Huell/Hull Melon Hop

Post by Fingar » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:49 am

Does anyone have experience of Huell/Hull Melon hop? It’s described as having AA of 6.9-7.5% with ‘Distinct fruit characteristics including honeydew melon and strawberry flavours’. I have seen it for sale at ‘the-homebrew-shop’ at AA 5.6% and at £3.84 seemed pretty cheap.

I was thinking about experimenting with it as a SHA probably using the AG recipe in Greg Hughes’ book to brew 4.7kg Pale Malt with 235g Carapils to achieve 5% with 40IBU – not really experimenting with the grains… just the hop.

I have read that it might not be that great as a SHA and may be more suited to be blended with other hops. Any ideas? There don’t seem to be many recipes out there with accompanying feedback.

Lark Lane Brewing

Re: Huell/Hull Melon Hop

Post by Lark Lane Brewing » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:27 am

I just did a brew with these hops on Monday!

I read the same as you, that they were a touch one dimensional, so came up with the following recipie:

3.5 kg Golden Promise

20g Chinook (FWH)
20g Hull Melon (10 min)
20g Hull Melon (5min)
20g Hull Melon (Flameout)

40g Hull Melon (Dry Hop 3 Days)

I treated 29l of water with Gypsum and Calcium Carbonate (9l mash, 20l fly sparge) mashed at 66.6 degrees for 60 mins and boiled for 60 mins, finished with 19l of 1.040 wort into which I pitched a pack of US-05 yeast.

The hops, upon opening the bag, had a slightly German smell to them with a strong aroma of strawberries. The strawberry smell persisted when the late additions hit the boil, although they faded during cooling. With a good fermentation and some dry hopping, I've got high hopes.

Good luck with your brew!

killer
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Huell/Hull Melon Hop

Post by killer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:45 pm

I tasted a single hop commercial brew with shed loads of this recently. It contained half wheat and half pale malt and fermented with S05 and was 4.5 % alcohol. All done to emphasise the hops. It was very underwhelming. Especially since the previous brew was with mosaic and turned out very well. The brewer was disappointed especially as he had put so much in. It's not top of my list of hops to play with.